Coffee

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jay

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I'm a coffee freak; is anybody stock piling coffeee beans? I see them for sale packed in #10 cans, but then I think, if it gets that bad....

here's my wife roasting some beans (it was awesome coffee by the way)

Not I. I generally avoid anything with caffeine.

What are you two talking about?

coffee.jpg

;)

-Q

There isn't topo much that can beat the smell of coffee roasting. In costa Rica, I went to the Cafe Britt packaging facility for a tour and we were served coffee from beans that were still warm when they were ground, and let me tell you it was phenomenal. No sugar, no milk......nothing. There was almost zero bitterness, just a deep rich flavor. The guide told us that most people will never know what coffee is supposed to taste like, because they have only ever had, and will likely never drink truly fresh coffee like we had just consumed. He went on to say that nearly all ground coffee is stale by the time you use it. I agree that storing some green coffee beans is a good idea, but I would have to check in to how long it can be stored before the volatile oils become rancid. Perhaps if they were canned with nitrogen they would keep longer. Interesting subject and worth checking in to further. At the Ancona homestead, we keep a few vac-packed bricks in the freezer because when it is on sale, we over-buy.

There isn't topo much that can beat the smell of coffee roasting. In costa Rica, I went to the Cafe Britt packaging facility for a tour and we were served coffee from beans that were still warm when they were ground, and let me tell you it was phenomenal. No sugar, no milk......nothing. There was almost zero bitterness, just a deep rich flavor. The guide told us that most people will never know what coffee is supposed to taste like, because they have only ever had, and will likely never drink truly fresh coffee like we had just consumed. He went on to say that nearly all ground coffee is stale by the time you use it. I agree that storing some green coffee beans is a good idea, but I would have to check in to how long it can be stored before the volatile oils become rancid. Perhaps if they were canned with nitrogen they would keep longer. Interesting subject and worth checking in to further. At the Ancona homestead, we keep a few vac-packed bricks in the freezer because when it is on sale, we over-buy.

I'm drinking five year out of date House brand (generic) canned ground coffee. Tastes fine to me (others would no doubt say it tastes like shit). However, there is no comparison to fresh roasted beans. It was a comedy when Bing roasted them. I'm hovering over her, "you're burning them you're burning them". Finally she said, how many times have you roasted coffee beans? (never) then just shut up. Took them down to the rice mill and got them ground and it was awesome.

here's the linky to canned beans, they claim they are good for 20 years...
http://campingsurvival.com/futureessentialscannedcoffeebeans.html

Isn't that the stuff Pepsi and Coca-Cola bought? It's pretty good after you run it through a berkey to get all the nasties out of it... I get a letter every six months from the city telling me Burnet water fails federal safety guidelines and is toxic and has carcinogens in it. The last line always cracks me up; "if you think you have cancer please see your physician". And I'm paying the city for this shit... and I've been getting this letter now for five years...

Haven't had caffine in well over a decade, never missed it.

perhaps one day I shall quit caffein. I quit everything else; smoking drinking drugging (other drugs). Prior to coma ten years ago I drank coffee all day long. After I woke up, one of the neurologists asked me how much coffee I drank, and when I told him, he said maybe you could just drink two cups in the morning, so I've done that ever since. Perhaps its harmful.

I'm a coffee freak; is anybody stock piling coffeee beans? I see them for sale packed in #10 cans, but then I think, if it gets that bad....

here's my wife roasting some beans (it was awesome coffee by the way)

Sweetmarias.com is a good source for green coffee beans

Back
Top Bottom