Coins in Tubes

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

FPrice

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
If you buy a tube of coins, do you check them when you get them home? (I assume everyone would...)

What do you check them for? How do you check them? Visually or other ways?

Thanks.

of course I check them I open it up and empty it. I look at each coin.

lets back up.

much of my stack is junk silver from ebay. in the case of dimes- I want to know that there are 50 of them and they are all 90%

FPrice, Another thing most of us might check, is to see if a silver eagle troy ounce weighs:

31.1034768 grams . . . or approximately 31.103 grams.

If any, supposedly silver troy ounce that you weigh is less then the above numbers, it probably is a fake.

Looks like I need a scale now.

Some dealers sell Mint sealed tubes. They still have the ribbon/stamp from the Mint on them to indicate that the tube has never been opened. You don't need to open/inspect those tubes.

Otherwise, if the tube is already opened, yeah, it's a good idea to "trust, but verify". If you are buying at a LCS, you should do this at the shop before leaving.

I've sifted through a pile of 90% "junk" silver that I was going to purchase at an LCS before and found some bad (ie. 40% silver coins) coins in the mix before.

Does this look like Canadian Mint seal? It is one-inch wide strapping tape with what looks like sharpie writing on top.

IMG_0624_zps5t6mlk2u.jpg

looks like someones diving expedition has discovered my stash :flail:

Dont open it for another 3087 years ! :pffftt:

No. Official Mint seals are more than just a piece of tape with Sharpie marker.

funny thing- at one point conterfits were worth more then the real thing- is was breif... they can scam the banks and some of the big players- dont presume you cant be scammed... and HA_ a piece of tape. haha

Back
Top Bottom