Collectible Crap Not Worth Diddly

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Collecting is a hobby not an investment. Unless you're collecting $.

Collecting is a hobby not an investment. Unless you're collecting $.
The people who sold all the stuff on that list collected money.

When it comes to "collectables", the trick is in knowing what the next hot one will be, prior to it being hot.

Seems like they covered just about everything. I find it hard to disagree with the sentiment. Collectible stuff is not something I dabble in any longer. If the need arise where you need to sell, it has become such a niche market with them that it's just not worth it any longer.

I had Wacky Pack stickers from the 1970s that were worth at least 25 cents each.

Last edited:
License plates. I had a set of Ohio license plates dating from 1962 to 2008. Most of them matched - Ohio had annual re-issue (a really-stupid way to do it) every year until 1976 (with the 1975 issue skipped, as they decided to extend the 1974 plates another year with a validation sticker). But owners could carry on the same number, if paying an extra couple dollars to reserve it.

Many people did. Ohio didn't have personalized plates until 1978, but Initial plates (like, MLN or MLN-1, MLN-2, etc) were available. But even the random plates could be reserved after first issue. When moving to Ohio, my father got BR-549 for the family buggy (not really, but it's only 15 numbers off from 549) and he kept BR-549 until Ohio moved to five-year, three-letter, three-number mandatory series.

Anyway, I had the whole set, right up to the plates I took off my mother's car when selling it and moving.

For it, I got...wait for it...FIVE DOLLARS at a curio shop here in town. And his was the only offer - most pawn shops and secondhand stores told me, dumpster's around the corner.

Nope, I wish I'd fed them into the scrap pile years earlier. My old man was a hoarder, but he'd been gone nine years when I cleaned out the house and moved.

Seems they have very negative things to say about Coins in general as well as sterling silver. Now that's pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom