Dimes

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Love mercury dimes best, have been trying to just get them lately. Halves I really like the Ben Franklin 1/2's. Quarters I'm not so fussy but if I can get the older ones for the same price as the Washington 1/4's I'll take them. I'm certain that buying silver is like a drug addiction. Just need a little fix now and then to keep me steady. Bur I could quit anytime I want. No seriously. :drool:

I save all my change then have the kids go through it. I usually find a dime once in a while, maybe every few months. Been a long time since I found a quarter.

If we ever need to use them, they will be the "One Dollar" bill, stack high, wide, and deep...

Not only dimes, quarters, halves, S.Ds, ASEs I save the coppers too.
Pre' 82s, The 82s I spend them back into circulation for the newbies to find.
With my Tinnitis I don't hear the ring so well so why sweat the worry. Plus it keeps newbie prospectors interested.

I broke down and bought a roll of mercury dimes. Yikes, the premium. I had no junk silver at all except a few sentimental pieces from my Father. I remember my Dad collecting Kennedy halves, mercury dimes and buffalo nickels. He said they would be worth something one day.

Love mercury dimes best, have been trying to just get them lately. Halves I really like the Ben Franklin 1/2's. Quarters I'm not so fussy but if I can get the older ones for the same price as the Washington 1/4's I'll take them. I'm certain that buying silver is like a drug addiction. Just need a little fix now and then to keep me steady. Bur I could quit anytime I want. No seriously. 🤤
Such a great look to them. Futuristic

#48Fan and 11c1p: I also horde all my change. I really don't expect to find and silver or oddity in modern coinage.

I save and buy Eisenhower dollars whenever I make it to this one particular coin shop. When I play poker with my friends I use the Eisenhower's as chips and do expect everyone to return them to me at the end of the night. There are a few rules that everyone has to follow so I have an opportunity to get them all back.

It makes feel like "Maverick". There is no way I'm willing to put by real silver at risk.

I really don't expect to find and silver or oddity in modern coinage.
I found a nice looking '43 D war Nickel at the store yesterday. It was just laying on the floor. Edited to add: it wasn't far from a Coinstar machine, so I assume that it somehow made it's way out of the reject tray onto the floor, and then got kicked to where I saw it. It's super shiny, but has a spot on the back of it.

Last edited:
My grandfather who died in 1991 had a 6 cubic foot steel safe from the1930s. It was loaded with merc dimes, Franklin halves and a few rolls of peace dollars. He also had rolls buffalo nickles stacked inside. All of it was pulled from pocket change and he was ahead of the curve.

My grandfather who died in 1991 had a 6 cubic foot steel safe from the1930s. It was loaded with merc dimes, Franklin halves and a few rolls of peace dollars. He also had rolls buffalo nickles stacked inside. All of it was pulled from pocket change and he was ahead of the curve.
High five grandpa. Were they in tins or what?

They were all hand rolled in paper wrappers. He then wrote the contents on the wrapper.

They went through the Great Depression and never threw anything away. Nothing. They had a 5 acre farm, Ford tractor, chickens, dogs and cats.

The animals were fed table scraps and pet food. All the paper and flammable trash was burned. The metal was scrapped or dumped somewhere on the property. It was a mess.

I remember seeing an old car and appliances just sinking into the ground and one part of the property just used as a dumping ground. They never spent cash on anything except a few necessities and bowling once a week.

Last edited:
I still check my change for that all silver edge. It's like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football - Lucy always yanks it away, but he (I) keep trying. :)

Three or four years ago I stopped into a Sheetz for a cup of coffee and a tube of Donettes for a road trip I was taking. Got home that evening and as I was emptying my pockets, something about a dime caught my attention. Sure enough, 1952 silver. That Sheetz was the only place I paid cash that day.

Here's an old Barber quarter that lives in my right-front pants pocket every single day. It is my ball marker for when I play golf.

coin.JPG

#48Fan and 11c1p: I also horde all my change. I really don't expect to find and silver or oddity in modern coinage.
I snagged a '63 Rosie just before Christmas, and I keep all the pre '82 Coppers ( pennies).
Since '82 was a split year I quit searching them and use them in change for the newbies / rookies to prospect.

I went to my lcs today and purchased 26 Eisenhower's and found 6 or 7 that appeared to be proof like ( they're sitting nicely in my collection - thank you very much). This brings my total proof like Ike's to more than 30. Most were found in the past 4 months. Some kid probably raided his dad's collection.

I know that these coins probably will never worth a lot but they bring me pleasure. Especially when the poker nights come around. But I can dream............

My good coins are not put into play on poker nights.

If we ever need to use them, they will be the "One Dollar" bill, stack high, wide, and deep...
More like 2-3 dollars, but I get your gist. I just saw individual mercury dimes for $3.50 ea at a local coin show. I bought bags and bags of junk silver of all types back 10-15 years ago. I'd mostly buy $500 face value from my old local dealer. Unfortunately he passed on a couple of years ago.

The way I look at junk currently is, dimes =$2-3, quarters =$5-6, and half dollars = $10-12. If the SHTF these values may rise and we'll adjust accordingly.

More like 2-3 dollars, but I get your gist. I just saw individual mercury dimes for $3.50 ea at a local coin show. I bought bags and bags of junk silver of all types back 10-15 years ago. I'd mostly buy $500 face value from my old local dealer. Unfortunately he passed on a couple of years ago.

The way I look at junk currently is, dimes =$2-3, quarters =$5-6, and half dollars = $10-12. If the SHTF these values may rise and we'll adjust accordingly.
junk silver has been trading at about 25x face ..so if my math is right that implies about $35 silver per ozt ......so junk silver is out performing many forms of silver right now........ i remember a lot of people talking junk silver down on GIM in past years saying it was as substandard form to .999......i remember in 1980 it was considered the prime form of silver in the hunt bros run up....personally i like it for its fractional qualities and its sovereign constitutional status...its always been a main component of my stack...........not sure why but i have always like the mercury (winged liberty) dimes as my favorite coin ...2nd is the St Gaudens double eagle but its hard to have a bag of them LOL

Junk silver is finally getting respect. Also notice sovereign fractional types such as gold francs and ducats getting some too.

I remember when junk silver was still found in pocket change and later when it broke 10x face. Times are a changin'.

Some have the mindset that their silver has to be shiny. I am not one of those people and have always had a preference for junk silver over any other type of PM. When I see a mixed pile of 90% dimes, quarters, and halves I have to admit it revs me up. Looking at a pile of 1-oz bars or rounds also does that but it's not the same. There's just something special about junk silver that's hard for me to explain.

Some have the mindset that their silver has to be shiny. I am not one of those people and have always had a preference for junk silver over any other type of PM. When I see a mixed pile of 90% dimes, quarters, and halves I have to admit it revs me up. Looking at a pile of 1-oz bars or rounds also does that but it's not the same. There's just something special about junk silver that's hard for me to explain.
i agree.......the only negative for me is that its not very space efficient to store like nice bars and it tends to be dirty to handle

ding ding ding........ PM's are all pretty likeable. It don't all have to shine. Some cool pics or profiles on it works for me.

BTW, We are T minus 3 days until we depart the deep blue SHITHOLE called New Mexico. This is/was my home, my home state and it really was a great place to grow up and even raise my own family. But a new evil chapter has been written in NM, and it is a very EVIL chapter. We've seen to many poor choices here for the worse, and we are DONE. I've got the moving company here today and we are headed for the Heartland, or as some say, "we are headed for Redder pastures". God willing we will be in our new home sometime this coming weekend.

Junk silber.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom