Douglas Mackey being found guilty of making memes disparaging Hillary Clinton.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Goldhedge

GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
guy tweets a meme and the left goes after him... two-tiered justUS system

Douglass Mackey Found Guilty of Violating Rights With 2016 Memes Telling Hillary Fans to Vote By Text​

Mackey could face a decade behind bars at his sentencing in August
BY ANDREA MARKS

MARCH 31, 2023
A JURY HAS found former internet troll Douglass Mackey guilty of violating people’s constitutional right to vote by disseminating memes encouraging Democrats to vote via text in the 2016 election. The decision comes after more than four days of deliberations.

During the two-week trial, the prosecution presented testimony by MicroChip, a co-conspirator-turned-cooperating witness, who was identified by only his social media handle. On the stand, MicroChip spoke of his mission to sow chaos ahead of the election, driven by his hatred of Clinton, according to reporting by the New York Times. His account was a major pro-Trump engine of disinformation leading up to the 2016 election. The man behind MicroChip has claimed to be a software developer from Utah, and in 2017 told Buzzfeed News that he took Adderall to work 12 hour shifts running an army of bots that generated 35,000 retweets daily.

Mackey, 33, testified in his own defense, saying he’d never intended to trick anyone, the Times reported. As a Trump supporter, he claimed he’d only hoped to catch media attention and get under the skin of his political opponents to potentially “rile them up, get under their skin, get them off their message that they wanted to push.”

Once known to his 58,000 Twitter followers as “Ricky Vaughn,” Mackey was arrested and charged in Jan. 2021. According to a criminal complaint against Mackey, in the months and weeks ahead of the 2016 election, he and unnamed co-conspirators created several phony campaigns encouraging people to vote via hashtags on Twitter and Facebook, while they joked in group chats that the “dopey shitlibs” would fall for it.

“Vote early text Hilary to 59925 today,” said the text on one meme Mackey distributed. It included fine print to make it appear more legitimate, prosecutors say: “Paid for by Hillary Clinton for president. Must be 18 years or older to vote. Must be a legal citizen of the United States. Vote by text not available in Guam, Puerto Rico, Alaska or Hawaii.” According to federal authorities, nearly 5,000 voters fell for the text ruse.

more

Question of the day: Does election interference trump the 1st Amendment?

Election interference can mean anything. It's BS. What laws were broken?

Douglass Mackey, the man “on trial for memes,” was sentenced to seven months in prison Wednesday for his efforts to trick Hillary Clinton voters into staying home on Election Day in 2016.

Mackey was convicted on a single count of conspiring with others to interfere in the 2016 presidential election after he shared from his far-right Twitter account phony advertisements that encouraged Clinton supporters to vote via text message.

“Avoid the line. Vote from home,” one meme says. “Text ‘Hillary’ to 59925.”

U.S. District Judge Ann M. Donnelly handed down the sentence, calling the conspiracy “nothing short of an assault on our democracy.”

Mackey was also a member of private direct-message groups on X, formerly Twitter, where he discussed and agreed with others on how to disseminate messages “intended variously to provoke, mislead, and, in some cases, deceive voters in the 2016 presidential election,” prosecutors said in a sentencing memo.

“Voting is the right that secures all other rights we hold dear,” Erik David Paulsen, representing the U.S. government, said Wednesday. “They were committing fraud, one that was aimed at one of our most sacred rights in our democracy.”
Mackey will also serve two years of supervised probation once he's released from prison.

^^^ so meme's are now considered "advertisements"?

I remember the same type of stuff being done on both sides, but only the ones that come from the Right are ever seen as a problem.

He was fucking with the election process. Literally screwing people outta votes. That's a no-no.
I dont think you have looked into this very much. As was mentioned, if you did text that number it had nothing to do with the election so there was literally no way to vote when you went to that number. There were also tons of memes floating around from both sides.
So when will the FBI and Hillary be charged for making up shit about Russia collusion and costing tax payers millions in legal costs to investigate?

So when will the FBI and Hillary be charged for making up shit about Russia collusion and costing tax payers millions in legal costs to investigate?
That's the real question. She and the dnc conspired to fool voters like @searcher into thinking that Trump was Putin's puppet. We heard nothing but that for at least three whole years, and some idiots out there on the radical left still think it's true.

That's the real question. She and the dnc conspired to fool voters like @searcher into thinking that Trump was Putin's puppet

Like I said in another thread - when it comes to voting I cross lines. Vote for who I believe is the best person for me and issues I'm interested in. R or D, doesn't matter. Just what the candidate says about issues I'm concerned with.

While I find Trump's opinion of putin way off base, when it came to the election I never gave it a thought. Just issues that directly affect me and my family.

But all that is moot now. Trump's outta office and facing all sorts of charges. Never gonna be in office again. Time to sit back and watch the court cases.

Who got screwed out of a vote?

Anyone gullible enough to fall for his bullshit. But the reason he got sentenced:

From the link:

Mackey was convicted on a single count of conspiring with others to interfere in the 2016 presidential election after he shared from his far-right Twitter account phony advertisements that encouraged Clinton supporters to vote via text message.

^^^^^^This is a no-no and bad juju.

Anyone gullible enough to fall for his bullshit. But the reason he got sentenced:

From the link:

^^^^^^This is a no-no and bad juju.
At least 1/2 of this country thinks Clinton should be in jail. Both of them actually.
But looking at the memes on Election Day or leading up to it, it's obvious to those on the right that it was a joke. For most on the left probably as well. Both sides toss memes around like free candy on Halloween night. I seriously doubt that there was even one person who texted that and thought, oh, ok now I voted. My guess is no evidence to support the claim that "
that encouraged Clinton supporters to vote via text message."
actually exists. So where's the crime? Oh, conspiracy. That means whatever the party in charge doesn't like they can charge you with conspiracy. It's a ridiculous case with an even more ridiculous outcome. Was this even a jury trial? If so this country is loaded with morons.

The real conspiracy was the Clintons using the DNC and FBI to create a fake dossier and spend millions on an investigation that led to nothing. Trump is also at fault for allowing it to even get started.

Here is proof that this was a malicious prosecution for political purposes.

In Mark Dice's latest vid, he shows a meme made by a biden supporter that said republicans vote on Wednesday.
If it is considered election interference to tell dems to vote by text, it's just as illegal to tell r's that they vote on Wednesday.
....but the deception perpetrated by dems is considered acceptable to them. Ie: they're just a bunch of hypocrites who happen to wield power at the moment.

He shows it around the two minute mark.

Here is proof that this was a malicious prosecution for political purposes.

In Mark Dice's latest vid, he shows a meme made by a biden supporter that said republicans vote on Wednesday.
If it is considered election interference to tell dems to vote by text, it's just as illegal to tell r's that they vote on Wednesday.
....but the deception perpetrated by dems is considered acceptable to them. Ie: they're just a bunch of hypocrites who happen to wield power at the moment.

He shows it around the two minute mark.

democrats140.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom