E-bay idiots

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cybrsk8r

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I see Scottsdale Silver posting auctions on E-bay. So they have one for 10, 5 gram bars. I'm thinking it might be good to have some of these small sizes for spending when the SHTF. 50 grams of silver is about 1.6 t oz. I set my max bid at $60 (which is already overpaying), but some idiot bids over $90 for them. I figure he paid about $56 an oz. Needless to say, I let him have them.

Between this and seller fraud, most people will tell you to sell on Ebay and buy elsewhere. I know several people that look for deals online, at LCS, and coin shows and turn around and sell them overpriced on Ebay.

Frankly- I am clueless as to how to sell. I am great at buying. I need to sharpen my sell skills.

I tried to sell some coins to 3 vendors all were so spotty it is a no go. They seem to insist that you are a previous customer and want only THEIR stuff. Sloppy SLOPPY.

Between this and seller fraud, most people will tell you to sell on Ebay and buy elsewhere. ...

???

They way I've heard it, eBay stacks the deck against sellers and makes it easy for buyers to screw them. I've heard the exact opposite advice - buy if you can find a bargain, but sell local.

???

They way I've heard it, eBay stacks the deck against sellers and makes it easy for buyers to screw them. I've heard the exact opposite advice - buy if you can find a bargain, but sell local.

It does depend on where you are able to sell locally. My LCS buys everything back below spot: bars, Eagles, you name it. At those prices I may as well at least sell to an online dealer like APMEX.

I see Scottsdale Silver posting auctions on E-bay. So they have one for 10, 5 gram bars. I'm thinking it might be good to have some of these small sizes for spending when the SHTF. 50 grams of silver is about 1.6 t oz. I set my max bid at $60 (which is already overpaying), but some idiot bids over $90 for them. I figure he paid about $56 an oz. Needless to say, I let him have them.

Yes that is quite a premium, but considering that they are selling on Scottsdales website for $9.30 each, he saved himself (currently) 30 cents each it sounds like. If you want to verify heres the link.

http://store.scottsdalesilver.com/product/82/5-Gram-Silver-Bar-by-Scottsdale---Series-2

They are cool bars, it just sucks how much of a premium they go for.

Back
Top Bottom