Edward Hopper’s ‘Nighthawks’ Captures the Isolation of American Modernity

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Edward Hopper’s ‘Nighthawks’ Captures the Isolation of American Modernity. Here Are 3 Things You Might Not Know About It​

“Ed refused to take any interest in our very likely prospect of being bombed—and we live right under glass sky-lights and a roof that leaks whenever it rains,” wrote Edward Hopper’s wife, Josephine, in the days after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Hopper was busy, perhaps avoidantly so, at work on a new canvas, soon to be named Nighthawks.

Hopper’s scenes of city and country life—houses and gas stations, trains and movie theaters, bedrooms, and offices—present the realities of everyday America infused with a voyeuristic, psychological complexity. During a period where abstraction grew increasingly dominant, Hopper explored the creative potential of the Realist tradition.

Certainly Hopper’s most iconic painting, arguably his masterpiece, Nighthawks is one of the most well-known works of the 20th century—a classic scene out of the “American Imagination,” to borrow from the title of the Whitney Museum of American Art’s 1995 Hopper retrospective. The piece was acquired shortly after its completion by the Art Institute of Chicago, where it remains today.

More:

Interesting subject; but I find I'm locked out of the link.

I know that one has been parodied a lot...

That site requires javascript to see the text of the article. If you have a javascript blocker active, you would need to disable it or whitelist the site in order to see the article.

I don't have troubles on other sites.

It's a Brave page - anon browsing (no cookies) chosen.

When a site or its managers really, really want me to allow their cookies, there's a reason. At BEST it's to spam me with a stream of ads. Moar likely, to suck marketable data and possibly to infect my browser.

No matter. It's an art-oriented site, controlled by the Art Community...meaning, hard-Leftist and dismissive of anyone's needs but their own.

I know a little of the painting, but I'd have been interested to read the comments.

Thanks for at least taking the time to read my complaint.:unsure:

From what I saw, it's not a cookies issue. It's a javascript issue.

Back
Top Bottom