Egypt in disarray; oil up

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Looks like things are devolving over there. :(

Earlier the Saudi Government voiced their support for the military in Egypt, just as I do. Allowing the MB to run the country would kill off the remaining Christians and put the women back in to total subjugation.

Aww, too bad I missed your post, Jay...

But, I don't like thinking about what is happening in the Middle East either, nor the hypocrisy shown by our Administration.

Egypt has how many people, 80 million?, and few resources. They will be a permanent basket-case as the years go by it looks to me.

Aww, too bad I missed your post, Jay...

But, I don't like thinking about what is happening in the Middle East either, nor the hypocrisy shown by our Administration.

Egypt has how many people, 80 million?, and few resources. They will be a permanent basket-case as the years go by it looks to me.

Robert, I deleted my post because it was more of a rant against a family member who is a journalist/reporter and it was off-topic. Drama drama Drama.

I remember meeting a young Egyptian engineer over seas (not in Egypt) back during the first uprising and he was so full of hope and pride for his home country. :(

I remember meeting a young Egyptian engineer over seas (not in Egypt) back during the first uprising and he was so full of hope and pride for his home country. :(
I remember millions of Americans expressing the same sentiments during the latest coup as well.

Egypt's security forces firing into a mosque seemed like an unnecessary escalation of the conflict..

As ZH says...

It goes without saying that firing on religious protesters inside a sanctum of a mosque will hardly derail the country's flaming train ride straight into civil war, but it also begs the question: why is Egypt so intent on culminating with a civil war, split along religious lines, that will be the bloodiest in decades, involve over 80 million people and is sure to lead to unprecedented death and destruction. Cui bono, aside from the Fed's balance sheet, of course?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-17/egypt-security-forces-fire-mosque-end-siege

Nights Over Eygpt

Somewhat disconcerting to have made the journey over to here in search of an oasis of calm and non-ideology-driven pm debate...

only to find on the very first thread I encounter, a reference to the premier frenzied & fallaciously (Austro)ideologically-driven site, ZH...as if some kind of source of balanced and relevant information about the ME, oil, commodities, or any other topic under the sun. Not.

But hey! It's all good. Let's work with what there is.

Egypt is the perfect topic compliment to precious metals discussions. Because, nothing, absolutely nothing there, is what it seems. So, opinions abound, and disinfo rules. Indeed, the whole Muslim Brotherhood\AlCIAda thing is the "tungsten standard" of media distortion and hyberbole, of the kind that KWN can only dream of some day reaching.

As little as I like to plug an obviously 'made' disinfo site like VT, their access to the occasional nugget of truth in a riverbed of fools' gold is quite amazing.
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/0...rotherhoods-occupy-egypt-the-unreported-story

Pls try to ignore the incoherent intro by the drug-addled editor Jimmy Dean, and proceed to the core of the text by Ashraf Ezzat - now that is truly an oasis of sane reportage in a desert of lying distortion.

Hopefully I'll find the same quality of oasis-like grove of groovy non-groupies here, with whom to share stories of precious metal mystery! I see "el Peruviano" is already here! Mix n match what,Sir Robert!>???:gold:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RF, welcome the the forum. :wave:

... made the journey over to here in search of an oasis of calm and non-ideology-driven pm debate...

I don't know about an oasis of calm, but we've got a pretty solid mix of analytical minds and diverse viewpoints here. We welcome folks with an interest in the PM markets whether they are stackers, traders or both.

... only to find on the very first thread I encounter, a reference to ... ZH....

We try to "shoot the message", not the messenger here. Lot's of people don't like ZH's slant or style and that's fine, but ad hominems don't illuminate truth any more than snark does.

... Egypt is the perfect topic compliment to precious metals discussions. Because, ...

Well, there is also, because it affects the oil trade which affects everything (including the PM markets).

... I see "el Peruviano" is already here! Mix n match what,Sir Robert!>???:gold:

DCRB holla!

We try to "shoot the message", not the messenger here.

:clap:
That would be a most agreeable way to proceed.

I have, however, been seeking refuge from the overwhelming slant of the libertarian\austrian group on the pm sites where I used to spend time. Having only recently deconstructed that baggage in my own mind, acquired automatically, it seems, in the course of getting into the metals, perhaps I'm still a little sensitive to even a whiff of the tyler's influence over the pmbug world[western section]. I got here via Bron's interchange with unbeatable, and very happily noted a different level of conversation and analysis than that which had started boring me to tears.

I gladly note your clarification and take it to mean that by digging into the archives here I'll find further indication of like-minded individuals who value critical thinking over group hysteria.

:D

I also see on ZH...

Internet Traffic Plunges By 40% As Google Goes Dark For Five Minutes

When contacted by Sky News, a spokesman for Google directed us to the dashboard message.

"We have no comment beyond this," he added.

I wonder if China will be blamed for this in 3,2,1...

I have, however, been seeking refuge from the overwhelming slant of the libertarian\austrian group ...

I'm sure you will find a good share of it here too (I'm in that corner myself), but you are welcome to add in a contrarian view where merited. Last I checked, no one has a monopoly on truth and a good discussion can open doors to broader horizons.

All I want to do is sell lots of bearings and buy lots of gold. Oh, and maybe enjoy life some too.

But, as our Congenial Host (PMBug) notes in this thread, what happens in Egypt will not likely just stay in Egypt. Culturally Egypt is the center of the Arab world. And like it or not, the Arabs have both the bulk of the oil and the bulk of a group of expansionist religious fanatics... We will be dealing with Islamic extremism, like it or not, for a long time.

Oil affects the entire world economy. I have to pay attention to the world economy as our Peruvian business is linked to a variety of countries. We are "linked in" (sorry) to a lot of places and people.

And, for us, freedom to operate as we choose (and need to) is vital to the success of our business, we too have mouths to feed... Not to mention otherwise hard-to-find spare parts to keep cars running in Peru...

...But, I don't like thinking about what is happening in the Middle East either, nor the hypocrisy shown by our Administration.

With the mix of religious extremism within the most populous Arab country, things will only get worse and worse for Egypt, much of it courtesy of our current President and his administration.

BOqT4WwCcAA5xbi.jpg:large

Credit: Twitter - Maher Hamoud

The MENA appears to be dialing it up to stupid level. All of the posturing and political statements have all the hallmarks of picking sides in a dodge-ball game, only in lieu of dodge-balls, they will use 7.62 X 39 and SAM rockets. We just need to stay the hell out of things in the first place.

Islam and democracy are quite simply put, incompatible with one another.

It's really sad how bad things have gotten there - after so much optimism when Mubarak was removed.

same when they removed Saddam and Ghadaffi ........

Unintended consequences ?

or was the current Iranian situation cunningly planned ?

If we made owning a private car illegal and forced everyone to use public transportation (or bikes), not allowed people to use water for lawns, banned incandescent lighting, made recycling mandatory, closed all the coal fired plants, limited soft drinks to 6 ounces, had single payer health care, funded a new palestinian state, and gave Florida to Israel (if they promised to live there), I am pretty sure the middle east and Egypt would continue to be a mess which is why having a little bit of gold might be a good idea (just trying to stay on topic here)...:shrug:

How long can the USA economy survive with $100+/barrel oil?

It's really sad how bad things have gotten there - after so much optimism when Mubarak was removed.

Anyone cognizant of politics in that part of the world would have realized that this is exactly what would happen with the removal of a 'strong man.' If not for Mubarak, and Sadat before him, what you see happening today would have happened DECADES ago. Not saying that Mubarak & Sadat were saints, as they were not, but they did keep the lid on terrorism in Egypt for over 40 years. Now that they are gone, and there is no one to replace them, extremism will continue to rule unchecked.

Last edited:
For some reason, it seems as if the entire muslim world is either trying to escape the seventh century, or fighting to bring back the seventh century. I say if they wish to live as barbarians within the borders of their own country, who are we to intervene?

The Crusaders went in search of knowledge.

Ancient knowledge that appears to have been passed, in part, to the Greeks from the Egyptians.

The Romans did not understand the more subtle ways of a peacable civilisation ( that had remained stable for thousands of years ) and felt threatened by it.

They destroyed the people and the knowledge wherever they could, using the relatively new iron / steel technology, which meant you could train a soldier pretty quickly.

What the Crusaders found was remnants of that knowledge in Iran, which they gathered and kept secret, this knowledge possibly passing from the Knights Templar to the Freemasons when they were destroyed by an unfriendly French King.

It was the rediscovery of this knowledge that triggered the Renaissance and the building of the great cathedrals, as the secrets of geometry and the gothic arch were utilised.

Sadly we talk as though we are the pinnacle of civilisation today.

We may be doing well with technology but 7th Century Islam was in many ways very advanced.

The Crusaders went in search of knowledge.

Ancient knowledge that appears to have been passed, in part, to the Greeks from the Egyptians.

The Romans did not understand the more subtle ways of a peacable civilisation ( that had remained stable for thousands of years ) and felt threatened by it.

They destroyed the people and the knowledge wherever they could, using the relatively new iron / steel technology, which meant you could train a soldier pretty quickly.

What the Crusaders found was remnants of that knowledge in Iran, which they gathered and kept secret, this knowledge possibly passing from the Knights Templar to the Freemasons when they were destroyed by an unfriendly French King.

It was the rediscovery of this knowledge that triggered the Renaissance and the building of the great cathedrals, as the secrets of geometry and the gothic arch were utilised.

Sadly we talk as though we are the pinnacle of civilisation today.

We may be doing well with technology but 7th Century Islam was in many ways very advanced.

Including the part where women aren't allowed to read and get stoned to death for adultery? :paperbag:

In more peacful, ancient civilisations, women were given equal rights to property ownership and were sometimes selected as leaders. ( eg Cleopatra, Boudicca )

It is the last 2000 years that have seen the changes and women becoming mere chattels.
We ourselves are only a 150 years or so beyond this and while it is clearly deplorable that in some cultures these attitudes persist, in the big picture things have and continue to return to how they were in ancient times.

In many ways we are still in the dark age. eg divide and rule, control with fear .....

Looks like things are devolving over there. :(

Very sad and ugly news coming from Egypt.

Also: FOMC minutes today - they say they might wanna taper the QE later this year. :rimshot:

Back
Top Bottom