Engelhard Bars

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mark

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why Engelhard Bars (1ozt) are more expensive than other bars? I mean, they're 1oz bars. Shouldn't they typically only cost the "asking" plus "assay fee" (say around 10%)? I'm buying Silvertowne at $30.40ozt and I see Engelhard bars listed at $39.00 +. Sometimes even higher.
NOTE: I was buying APMEX bars, but their credit card and shipping fees are way to high.
P.S. Also, can anyone recommend other assayers/sellers who have free or low shipping/assay fees?
Just my .02 for the day.
Thanks

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why Engelhard Bars (1ozt) are more expensive than other bars? I mean, they're 1oz bars. Shouldn't they typically only cost the "asking" plus "assay fee" (say around 10%)? I'm buying Silvertowne at $30.40ozt and I see Engelhard bars listed at $39.00 +. Sometimes even higher.
NOTE: I was buying APMEX bars, but their credit card and shipping fees are way to high.
P.S. Also, can anyone recommend other assayers/sellers who have free or low shipping/assay fees?
Just my .02 for the day.
Thanks

Reasons for the higher price:
Popularity
Well Respected
Highly recognized compared to run of the mill bars ==> more liquid
People like the fact they use serial numbers (don't know why)
I don't really know much beyond that as I don't usually buy bars

Some of the best prices I have seen for bars have been at local stores; between no shipping costs and it was a bar that had been in their store for a while.
:cheers:

I have some Englehard and JM bars, but they were bought with good deals and little premium. Otherwise, I buy recognized silver bars --- Scottsdale, Silvertowne, APMEX, etc. I'd consider the Englehard and JM bars as "ultra-premium" bars.

I just don't want to pay that premium. Unless, of course, it's on eagles. That's the only bullion where I truly see name making a difference.

Otherwise, buy more silver or gold with that premium cash.

ADK

Well, that do make sense. I purchased some JMs from APMEX (with SNs) for a decent price, then they killed me with S&H and CC fee.
If I'm just buying the occasional oz, I like Silvertowne and sometimes, you can get some decencies on e-bay.

Because they dont make them anymore. EH- has a sorted past- they were big time polluters.

There is scandal to the name.

So - if they still make them- it is reduced capacity. EH- is one of the least likely to counterfeit. Only junk and eagles are a better record on that.

So you are paying for the name- sort of like an eagle.

Resale will ALWAYS be higher. Some of my bars are EH.

am i the only one who lives near coin shops that treat basically every oz of silver as just that silver? the only thing with more then a dollar or two over spot is eagles which are usually 3 or 4 over. i've never paid a large premium for engelhards to pandas and lunars.

I can't recall exactly, but I seem to remember my local coin shop charging just a slight premium over other generics for Englehard Prospector rounds.

am i the only one who lives near coin shops that treat basically every oz of silver as just that silver? the only thing with more then a dollar or two over spot is eagles which are usually 3 or 4 over. i've never paid a large premium for engelhards to pandas and lunars.

I never buy silver from the shop local to me. Eagles for 7 over spot, with the regular stuff 2-4 over spot. The only thing they are good for is gold coins/bars.

I never buy silver from the shop local to me. Eagles for 7 over spot, with the regular stuff 2-4 over spot. The only thing they are good for is gold coins/bars.

7 over spot?? thats amazing. i guess i am just fortunate. im from daytona beach and recently moved to myrtle beach and even the two dealers up here sell near spot, but they do charge more for pandas and such

Back
Top Bottom