food dehydrator

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

oppie2005

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
anyone have one?

if you do:

what brand is it?

If it broke, would you buy the same one again?

I trust y'all's reviews of the products you use more than i do from a review website, as you never know whether their reviews are real or if someone was paid to give it good ratings.

anyone have one?

if you do:

what brand is it?

If it broke, would you buy the same one again?

I trust y'all's reviews of the products you use more than i do from a review website, as you never know whether their reviews are real or if someone was paid to give it good ratings.

we used to have a Sunshine food dehydrator that we got at a garage sale for two dollars. I loaned it to a preacher I know (and 2500 dollars) and never got either one back. Eventually, after several years of hounding, I got the money back in dribs and drabs, and he got colon cancer. I don't want to bother him to ask him for the dehydrator back, but it was a good one.

Bought one years ago and never took it out of the box. Never used it. Eventually sold it in a garage sale (after failing to sell it via craigslist).

My Sun Oven claims to be able to dehydrate foods, but I've never tried it.

Op- what foods would you dehydrate?

What is your plan B?

foods i would dehydrate would be pretty much everything. fruits, vegetables, berries, herbs (grown at home or found in the woods).

my plan B for dehydrating? i hadnt really thought about it tbh. i guess my plan B is to just buy canned fruits, vegetables, already dehydrated berries, and herbs. and some things i can string up with a needle and thread and hang up to let dry.

ive got about 20 - 30 cayenne peppers strung up and dried that way at the moment. I need to pull them down, gut the seeds, and cut or grind them up and put them in an airtight container.

Gonna head out in a little bit on a search for wild ginseng, various mustard plants (i.e. turnips, wild mustard, or wild radishes), and already spotted a few dandelions im gonna dig up for the roots. figure ill be drying the dandelion roots the same way as i did the cayenne peppers.

oppie, if you want to have a nuclear fusion-powered one, just google "solar food dehydrator" on YT or look it up at permies.com - couple of simple designs, depending on which one you choose, maybe one - two weekends projects - works for free, and works forever.

I might post few links, but I'd need to find them back.

PMBug, solar oven might not be optimal, because you don't have too much of an airflow going in there, not to mention restricted space, and lastly, some/many types of foods are better to be dried NOT in direct sunlight (UV does away with a lot of organic chemistry stuff)

We have an Excalibur,9 tray.
We do fruit,vegs & looking forward to making venison jerky.
Good thing to have IMHO.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

We do fruit,vegs & looking forward to making venison jerky.
...ahhhh, beef jerky - if I had to choose just one snack for the rest of me life, that wouldbe it! So unfortunate, that I cannot seem to find it here in Ireland!

Might be the single reason, to build myself food dehydrator - great idea BigJim :)

You know Op- maybe you can cash in on one of those- that is sell some foods you dehydrated

I've been wanting a dehydrator for a long time. They just became mainstream here, so I can finally buy one at a reasonable price. I probably get one for myself for Christmas.

Beef jerky FTW!

One thing I've never been sure of---and should probably research---is the shelf life of home dehydrated foods. Jerky never lasts long enough around my house to spoil, but I'm not sure about long term storage of dehydrated foods. I've toyed with the idea of getting a vacuum sealer to use in conjunction with a dehydrator, just haven't done the research.

Any thoughts or advice??

haven't tested it myself, but from "the old ways" back in Poland, in homesteads before the electricity was introduced (which was about two and a half years ago ;) - "Yakshemash!"), there seem to be some key points:
A dark, dry place, with a moderate/good airflow - so, during the summertime, farmers were hanging smoked meats in the (disused for the summer) chimneys. If it worked for meats in a rather warm climate (70-90 deg F summertime typically), I cannot imagine it wouldn't work for everything else.

One guy with that solar dehydrator I've seen on YouTube, kept the plums in it for the whole winter/spring, and he was eating them away happily on the video.

Beef jerky should last forever (for all practical intents and purposes) if kept dry, I think. It was after all one of the two ingredients of Pemmican (the other ingredient being fat), which was reported to last unspoiled for decades (but since it contains fat, it has to be airtight packed for it)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom