Fresh Water From Seawater?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

im looking for something that will remove metal salts from rising mine water.
This device might develop into a solution (no pun intended ) but the concept seems to be more about dilution and concentration of ions, leaving a problem of dealing with a more concentrated salt solution.

Most metal salts can be caused to precipitate fairly easily by introducing another cation that converts them to insoluble form chemically. You have to add the right amount of the right thing for what you've got.

yes, in a lab this would be the approach but in the field we have a broad range of flow variations and metal salt concentrations, with iron mostly precipitation out naturally by naturally forming terracettes within the site. Zinc lead cadmium and copper remain in high enough concentrations to upset invertebrates in the clean stream the mine water discharges into.

Flows vary from 20 litres a sec to 2 litres.
The total loadings are higher in low flows making summer flows the bigger environmental problem.

New desalination plant to start operating six months ahead of time​

A new desalination plant is ready to start operating, Israel National Water Company Mekorot announced on Tuesday.

Mekorot marked the completion of all the necessary work to connect the new facility in Sorek to the country’s water system in a ceremony earlier in the day. The new plant, the sixth in Israel, will increase the desalination output from the current 600 million cubic meters to 800 million cubic meters per year within a few months.

More:

Lexan is polycarbonate which is produced in part with bisphenal A monomer

I don’t mind extractables but do not reactive ones

this is basically bullet proof glass

it’s durable but also doesn’t like high pH

So, it's not really a technology that preppers or the public will be utilizing any time soon, but it sounds pretty interesting:

The paper:

It seems like a no brainer. I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…