Gold Forecast : This could take off like concord.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Plenty of folks interested in gold. Your first post above reads like an advertisement to get people to visit profitconfidential. Most folks here are interested in discussing issues here.

Also, I think most people are numb to predictions of PMs "taking off like the concord". Anyone who has been paying attention for a while knows that there are significant pressures keeping the metals depressed. If you are dollar cost averaging your purchases, you should be adding a bit more to your stack(s) these days. :)

I'm happiest when PM prices are low. Even now with gold down some, I still think silver is a better value. If it stays under 1100 I'll probably add a bit more, but I'm not going crazy on gold. If it gets under 1000 and silver stays above 14 I'd be more interested in gold.

Watching silver myself, mostly because I'm too damn poor to buy gold, but also because I think there's more crushing in the coming.

Watching silver myself, mostly because I'm too damn poor to buy gold, but also because I think there's more crushing in the coming.

Yeah, I can buy a tube of silver eagles or maples, 10ozt bars or rolls of junk silver and I don't have to sweat it. When I buy gold I usually by 1/4 OZT's or smaller, maybe a 1/2ozt here and there. I wish I could buy a tube of gold maples or multi ounce bars, but it ain't happening any time soon.

I could do it, but my wife would kill me in my sleep. We have a hard and fast rule that our cash on hand, meaning readily available not-in-CD cash to spend equals no less than one year and two weeks of bills. Period, no exceptions. So, that's what we do. Then she keeps groceries in a different account. Six months worth there. I don't have vehicle or fuel expenses, the company pays that, so that's not a thing for me, but still, silver is the easy way out. I can go down every single week, and even if it's just a few dimes or some quarters, I buy something. Even if it means bringing sack lunches to work, I buy something every single week. I would rather go without pizza night or put off doing something I want to remind myself why I buy PM's. An old guy once told me when I was in my twenties and perpetually broke that unless I paid myself first, I would never ever have anything and would always be broke. He said when you get paid, put something aside for yourself and don't touch it. You cannot use it for bills or anything responsible. This is your money and no on else's. I have always remembered those words. Far too many people live to work instead of work to live. They work and work and work. They never pay off their debts, or they pay off a debt and immediately incur new debt.

I'm done with that game.

Having over a years worth of bills + whatever you have in CD's or money markets, stocks, bonds etc. to me is just trusting the fiat currency too much. I used to have a lot more of that stuff. I remember when I was in the army I opened a money market back when it was earning like 7 or 8% buying stocks and doing fairly well. I've never really trusted banks too much, as my grandparents on both sides got hurt REAL bad by the depression and tell me stories. Then after things like 9/11 and the '08 collapse & other countries probs (greece, argentinam etc) I decided I would never keep more than 4 months salary tied up in republik kredits. Usually not much over 3 months. I've never had a problem selling PM's or guns if I need quick cash. Not to mention now with getting almost NO interest in any type of savings, CD, MM it really doesn't pay to keep a lot of it in a bank, just as good to keep it in your mattress. I also still dabble in a few stocks more as a hobby than a real method of income, but beyond all that it's mostly PM's including lead, brass, copper and cold blue steel (sometimes stainless) and do polymers count as a PM? I also own a few pieces of small property I can snatch up when they are cheap. I often receive offer for them, sometimes more than double what I paid, but I am not really interested in selling them. Besides a couple of them have grain bins and other assets that I am able to rent out, so they more than pay for the taxes to keep them. Not enough to get rich off of either, but a few extra hundred here, a grand or two there every year is nice fun money.

Well, NOT buying any more gold gives me incentive to want the price to fly to the moon now...

"Low PM prices do me no good if I am not going to buy."

Weird how life changes stuff even when you are 59...

:paperbag:

11C1P,
Because of the travelling that I'm required to do, I need to have access to cash, and lots of it. There are times when I need to move twenty or thirty and do it right now with a wire, so I've got little choice. In addition, when things got real lean in 'late '08 -'09, '10 etc., I didn't take a paycheck for thirty months, which was pretty damn rough. This way, I have cashola on hand to ride out a storm and pay my way without selling shiny. After the crash, I sold off all my gold and my four platinum bars to survive, so I only have my silver stack now. I'm OK with that, because metal is metal, and as far as I'm concerned, silver has exponentially better upside potential than gold, although it is significantly bulkier, but what's a guy to do? I can buy it in far, far smaller lots which makes it a lot more convenient and gives me a reason to hang out at the LCS more often.

If you need it for all that stuff, then ya gotta do what ya gotta do. As far as storing that much cash for long term emergencies, I just feel that I can do that better with PM's and other things than republik kredits stored in a republik komputer. Like I said I myself tend to keep at least 3-4 months worth in their world of make believe for more immediate or short term emergencies and of course for buying lots of goodies on the interwebz.

Well, NOT buying any more gold gives me incentive to want the price to fly to the moon now...

"Low PM prices do me no good if I am not going to buy."

Weird how life changes stuff even when you are 59...

:paperbag:

Funny how many different changes you go through in life isn't it. I remember the first big smack in the face change for me after I got out on my own. It is summed up best by a Mark Twain quote. “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” I remember how when I was a teenager I knew all the answers, but when I got to be an adult they changed all the questions! Now my teenage son is the same way, and you just wish there was some way you get through to them without sounding like your father, cause you know that won't work! :shrug:

Having plenty (or at least "enough") of cash around allows you to "defend the precious" (FOFOA).

The Opportunity Cost of holding cash is now at zero (with ZIRP). No advantage for holding it at the bank, except for "protection". Holding cash at the bank AND cash at home is diversification of risk (bail-in at the bank, burglary at home)...

CA$H would be accepted first in a SHTF. A silver dime? WOULD the gas station attendant give you a gallon for that? Later maybe, sure. At first, though, well let me ask you all this:

"Would any gas station attendants that you know give you more than 10 cents for a silver dime?"

Having plenty (or at least "enough") of cash around allows you to "defend the precious" (FOFOA).

The Opportunity Cost of holding cash is now at zero (with ZIRP). No advantage for holding it at the bank, except for "protection". Holding cash at the bank AND cash at home is diversification of risk (bail-in at the bank, burglary at home)...

CA$H would be accepted first in a SHTF. A silver dime? WOULD the gas station attendant give you a gallon for that? Later maybe, sure. At first, though, well let me ask you all this:

"Would any gas station attendants that you know give you more than 10 cents for a silver dime?"

Like I said I definitely agree with storing a certain amount of cash, but if after 3-4 months of SHTF, I do think PM's and other forms or barter/trade would come into play. Obviously if you need to store more than that for business reasons or even just cause that's what you prefer then do so, I am just saying why I don't like to keep more than that stored in cash at any given time. Also there are states now that require business to accept PM's as payment, not to mention other rural and secluded places that do it as well, even though they aren't in those states. Not to mention I often see PM's being traded at gun shows and flea markets for stuff, so I think there are more people catching on.

Last edited:
Funny how many different changes you go through in life isn't it. I remember the first big smack in the face change for me after I got out on my own. It is summed up best by a Mark Twain quote. “When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” I remember how when I was a teenager I knew all the answers, but when I got to be an adult they changed all the questions! Now my teenage son is the same way, and you just wish there was some way you get through to them without sounding like your father, cause you know that won't work! :shrug:

get them to leave home while they still know everything :wave:

get them to leave home while they still know everything :wave:

That's what I did. I joined the Army on the DEP my senior year, and the 6 months between the end of my senior year and leaving for the army I started to realize I might have it a lot better than I had previously thought. Day 1 of basic training confirmed my suspicions! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom