Has Anyone Else Been BTFD?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score

Both on my recent trip (where in DC the only gold retailer told me that someone came in and bought all of his 37 oz of American Au bullion coins) and since I got back I bought. Not huge, but on big price drops I often do buy. Not that it always works out though...

The three LCS's I went to reported no other unusual activity (just the one big sale of Au coins).

So, two questions:

1) Have you guys been BTFD?

2) How is gold availability? If I had to *guess*, I would say that retail supplies are down slightly.

I got four rounds because that was what my wallet could withstand. I thought I would be able to buy a hell of a lot more, but I was wrong.

Sadly, having some unexpected expenses right now, so budget for shiny is restricted.

Same problem as here as PMBug and Ancona, though did manage to buy an Eagle ($21.34) and a Maple Leaf ($20.34) last week. I see that prices are about 20 cents higher today for each of them.

Availability here, except for junk silver, seems to be ok.

I don't stack much gold, but I had to break down and buy a few fractional pieces, but mostly stacking silver. I consider the dip in silver though starting at around $20 so I'm buying all I can while it's that low. If Gold dips way down or silver shoots way up while gold doesn't (not likely I know) then I would probably move towards stacking more gold. Most of my gold is 1/10, 1/20 ozt coins or 5 & 10 gram bars. I have one 1/4 ozt coin. My son however has a full 1 ozt and a couple 1/2 ozt coins (gifts from his grampa's) Those little coins and bars look so pathetic next to my full size silver coins and bars, but the color sure is PURDY!

Jumped into some 5 oz lunars.
Claimed Noah, horses and goats.
Same price @ Provident.
Brutal premium, but but but, once held the power of 5 oz Lunar coin.
Careful because it makes all others look either to big, to small, to thin (US 5 series) etc.
Thought for a while 1968 Haiti congo drum 3.6 oz was it, 1840 seated liberty hole punched I dug, or the 1790's Farnham monogrammed silver spoon I dug. Nope, goats.
5 oz goats with weaponry weight, depth to fur, and feng shui dimensions.
Hope the horses look remotely as good.

Who's got a kilo?
You'd have to name the goats.

Getting ready to. In the middle of a contested divorce, so I'm hiding money right now and don't want a trail to it that some judge can <ctrl>x, <ctrl>v away from me. Man, those boating accidents are not easy in the mountains, where there are no boats!

brilliant !

I just happen to own a mine (-:

Better sort out some survey data that makes that big collapse show as a recent event ......

Using the traffic on my site as a barometer, I would guess that we're very near the bottom of PM prices now. I've had very little traffic during the whole downward trend over the last 2 years. However, since late September, traffic started picking up again. I can only surmise that the collective brain of my users has determined that we're near a bottom. I've been meaning to make a traffic/price graph to illustrate this, but I've been having too much fun teaching the kids violin lately :)

So I'm gonna put in an order for some silver this week, then wait a few weeks and buy some more.

I bought a very small handful of dimes last evening from a buddy that needed some quick cash to fix his truck. However I told him I would sell them back if he got the cash together in a reasonable period of time, and if silver didn't skyrocket between now and then.

I hate buying from friends when they are down, it feels dirty.

Last edited:
I like to hold my PMs to a fixed percentage of my total investments. As I put new money to work on a regular schedule, I have not sold off long term investments only bought what my spreadsheet tells me is underweight.
But right now, with the run equities have had and the nosedive in PMs, I would need to sell stocks to balance to my targets. I am not sure if I will do this, but defiantly all my new money is going into PMs.

I am a huge fan of low premiums so I was buying a gold soveriegn and a 10 oz bar of silver when I was underweight, but with silver so low now I am thinking of moving to kilo bars.

I buy online, usually from JM Bullion, they have free shipping and run weekly deals. The last 10 oz bar I bought from them was only 75 cents per oz over spot.

I love that these low prices give something to buy, as putting fresh money into equities right now give me acrophobia.

-ID

traded a roll of ASE's at the local gun show for a nice (to me) 30-30. Does that count?

Back
Top Bottom