HD radio

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

FYI... up to $110 on this build. Rest of the cost should be minor incidentals (like wiring fittings, screws, glue, etc.). Planning on using scrap/salvage wood for the cabinet.
Ok.. not sure what I was thinking:

Head unit - $40
Speakers - $30
Sub - $60
AC adapter - $18
Bass filters - $10

TOTAL - $158

Approaching the danger level with my accountant (wife). Will probably have to rob my piggy bank to reimburse the Christmas fund.

That's still a darn good price for what you'll have there...

Ok.. not sure what I was thinking:

Head unit - $40
Speakers - $30
Sub - $60
AC adapter - $18
Bass filters - $10

TOTAL - $158

Approaching the danger level with my accountant (wife). Will probably have to rob my piggy bank to reimburse the Christmas fund.
$158?

I spent more on just wires for my system. šŸ˜

Last edited:
Spent the morning disassembling the piano. Found the original warranty certificate from 1917! I love this logo-ed damper bar. Will make an awesome piece of bottom trim.

Screenshot_20221121_073738.jpg Screenshot_20221121_123350.jpg Screenshot_20221121_123540.jpg

Spent the morning disassembling the piano. Found the original warranty certificate from 1917! I love this logo-ed damper bar. Will make an awesome piece of bottom trim.
Just curious, but what was wrong with the piano?
....and with it being that old, did you make sure it had no value prior to taking it apart?
.....and are the keys ivory?

Just curious, but what was wrong with the piano?
....and with it being that old, did you make sure it had no value prior to taking it apart?
.....and are the keys ivory?
Keys are plastic. Blacks are not ebony. We tried to give it away. But no takers.

Had this cool nickel plated brass emblem. Going to be part of the radio cabinet decor.

Screenshot_20221121_143014.jpg

How's the sound board? It's probably 1/2" thick and several boards put together? Iffn you can send me some pics I'd be happy to see if it can be turned into a guitar top, or violin?

How's the sound board? It's probably 1/2" thick and several boards put together? Iffn you can send me some pics I'd be happy to see if it can be turned into a guitar top, or violin?
I don't have the harp off it yet, but I think it is only a single layer. I will send pics when I finish disassembly.

Be careful with the harp... that's A LOT of tension!

I suggest detuning it before messing with the innards!

I bet you could make yard art out of the harp frame, or sell for scrap?

I know little about pianos, but upon reading your post, I decided to do a little digging.

I found a piano forum where someone asked about removing the harp with the strings intact.

Here is one of the first replies.
Sounds a bit scary. Lol

256 pieces of wire pulled to approximately 180 inch lbs each.
A total of 17-20 tons of weight on one side of that plate. When you release the screws that hold the plate in place against the wooden structure where is that weight going to go?

That is if you manage to get all of the screws holding the plate in place out before the thing explodes in your face. You will be lucky to live with the injuries. The plate would implode and pieces would come off at 1400 ft. per second. That is 22 calibre speed or perhaps .303 speed.

Best of luck. Paramedics are everywhere these days.

You cannot leave the strings on. The plate will not go by the tuning pins and coils.

I never realized there was anything in a piano that was under that kind of tension. Learnin' somethin' new everyday, is true it seems.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the harp. I noticed it was starting to bow as I removed screws, so have begun to release the strings starting with the lower register. The amount of tension is quite amazing.

I suggest detuning it before messing with the innards!

I bet you could make yard art out of the harp frame, or sell for scrap?
Planning on scrapping it. I released the lower strings by breaking off the pins on the bottom with a hammer. As I got into the upper register those pins turned into bullets! Unfortunately, none of my sockets would fit the tuning pegs. I need a tool so I can release the tension.

Got the string tension relieved, then I realized that all of the tuning pegs go through the harp and into the wood. Sheesh. Going to need a tool for my drill.

I need a tool so I can release the tension.
You need a piano hammer. Higher notes have higher tension btw...

You could take the harp, make a stand for it, set it in the yard, attach the strings to it (somehow) and then tighten them to some pitch and let the wind blow through the strings. Shimmering.

Got any more pics of your progress?

You need a piano hammer. Higher notes have higher tension btw...

You could take the harp, make a stand for it, set it in the yard, attach the strings to it (somehow) and then tighten them to some pitch and let the wind blow through the strings. Shimmering.
I was alone in the basement of the church tearing it apart. You have no idea how many spooky sounds a piano makes during disassembly! Sounded like background music for a horror film.

Customer review from the Piano Hammer link

5.0 out of 5 stars Just say, "NO!!!"
Reviewed in the United States on July 31, 2022
Verified Purchase
If anyone ever asks you to help them, disassemble a piano? Just laugh hysterically, while pointing an index finger at them. Then just say, NO!!! This spanner wrench is unique to removing the pins from a piano. The pin holds a piano wire in place. Each key on the piano has three different piano wires, held by these tuning pins. And it's an absolute nightmare, removing 264 pins by hand. You can jerry-rig a socket to try and use a battery powered drill, but these pins are REALLY sunk in there. And your drill is going to get a hernia trying to muscle every one of those little born-out-of-wedlock's out of the wood they're screwed into. Massive pain in the extreme lower back, if ya know what I mean. The spanner wrench worked to back those little born-out-of-wedlock's far enough, where the drill had a chance to remove them the rest of the way. Absolute pain. NEVER volunteer to help someone disassemble a piano.

You might be able to sell the hammers and other to a piano tuner? Cheap?

Also strings might be interesting to a hammered dulcimer maker/player??

in the early 1900's an inventor devised a way to deliver radio signals through electrical wiring. he charged 2 dollars a month for the service. people didnt buy it - so it went under. he went on to create the company muzak - which is known today for 'elevator music'

Just curious how the sound board turned out....?

I am heading back to church tonight to finish removing the strings. Then I can remove the harp and inspect the soundboard.

Soundboard is rough. Lots of splits. Hard to get apart the glue without cracking it.

Screenshot_20221202_190915.jpg
Screenshot_20221202_190929.jpg
Screenshot_20221202_190944.jpg

As I thought, it's several boards put together. Good for firewood... or anything else you want to use it for.

The pieces could be used for 2mm thick ukulele tops, or a carved violin if they are at least 1" thick depending on how wide the slabs are.

Heat will soften the glue... damp rag with a hot iron aught to do the trick. Just keep the rag wet.

The bracing can be planed off, or steamed to soften the glue with a pry bar underneath.

see if any luthiers around there might be interested in some very old spruce???

fwiw

Last edited:
Done! Just needs a little furniture polish to cover up the scuffs.

I decided to set the keyboard cover latch in the front as an accent and tribute to its origin. This is in addition to the brand tag top center.

Screenshot_20221203_193135.jpg

Screenshot_20221203_193149.jpg

Screenshot_20221203_193202.jpg

Screenshot_20221203_193531.jpg

Very nice!

Now all you need are some cup circle stains on top and maybe a cigarette burn mark on the edge to be a 'real' piano...

Very nice!

Now all you need are some cup circle stains on top and maybe a cigarette burn mark on the edge to be a 'real' piano...
Except... this piano lived out its life in a Baptist church!

Also made her a coffee table from piano wood. The top is part of the structure that supported the keys and action.

Screenshot_20221217_114152.jpg

Screenshot_20221217_114202.jpg

Screenshot_20221217_114214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom