Hello

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

oppie2005

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Firsties!

For now i will go with my nickname. My name is Oppie, i acquired my nickname in Highschool from my JROTC classmates that said i look like Oppie Taylor from The Andy Griffith Show.

I am new to purchasing PMs and am open to any sound advice that can be passed on to me.

Other interests of mine are Guns ( I own a few rifles, a shotgun, and a Springfield XD40), Pythons (I have 3 Ball pythons, a female normal, a female granite morph, and a male butter morph), and i enjoy tinkering with new projects (currently im working on building display cages for my ball pythons, next i plan on trying my hand at building solar panels for electricity, and for heating water with guidance from mdpub.com and builditsolar.com respectively).

Thats pretty much all i have for now.

Thanks for looking :)

Welcome to the forum!

Building your own solar panels sounds like an interesting hobby/project. Maybe something I could get my son interested in trying this summer...

Second! Welcome oppie, I replied to your question re buying PMs in another thread.

I am a 55 year old guy married to the nicest Peruvian-American in town. We have a daughter who is the nicest young lady in her town. I have helped to run a Peruvian rolling bearing import company for over 20 years.

I am interested in:

-- gold and other PMs (including their physical and chemical properties)
-- "survival" (inc. guns and ammo)
-- ball bearings, tapered roller bearings and other bearings for vehicles
-- Peru
-- databases and data analysis software (statistics)
-- the general financial situation and investing in general

To a lesser degree:

-- rare earth metals, mining
-- material science

Because of my many interests, by definition I am not an expert in anything (except maybe applications of Korean bearings in Peru). But, that's OK, as N. N. Taleb said in his book The Black Swan, we need educated generalists too...

I am conservative / libertarian and easily riled up! :)

EDIT:

oppie, I would like to hear if you know where I can get a solar still for turning seawater into fresh water.

Last edited:
for the still for seawater to freshwater...its not something that i've looked into, as i live more inland in the U.S. However, If you build solar panels/wind turbines that charge a battery system, then you could run a reverse osmosis unit to purify the saltwater, thus turning it to fresh water.

I've not looked too deep into the solar water heating yet, but depending on the climate of where you live, im sure the water tempurature could get hot enough to boil. I'll look into it some more, and see what i can find and let you know though.

Back
Top Bottom