home preps for Winter- did you?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
So the snow will fly soon- I always wait till the last minute.

Have you started prepping for Winter?

Snow? What's that?

Only preps we have to do down here on the Gulf Coast in Texas is turn the A/C off and maybe turn the heater on. Pipes outside the house stay wrapped (in case we get a hard freeze) year around because I'm too lazy to unwrap them.

The only preps we have to do here are shut off the A/C and pull out a blanket or two. We're done in fifteen minutes. ; - )

buying more wool blankets. sister is making wool hats. finished getting the truck fixed, next is to go get a couple loads of firewood. Gotta split and stack the wood i already have. got the carrots and kale planted.....may need to build a plexiglas cover for the raised beds. other than that, i think we're good.

The contractors came through on their 5 year sweep to clear the tree growth under the power lines.
I told em what length to cut and where to stack. I ought to get it all gathered in and covered before the ground gets too wet, i guess.

Thats it really.

gotta drag out the wood stove and hook it up (it sits in the middle of the living room). That only takes ten minutes... I raise plumeria for a hobby, so I'll take a few truck loads of plants up to the middle school greenhouse (the kids divide the plants up and sell them in the spring). Thats about it.

only gonna need the firewood until 21st December though

its all change then ........... :wave:

better start eating that stash too

bloody Mayans :pffftt:

only gonna need the firewood until 21st December though

its all change then ........... :wave:

better start eating that stash too

bloody Mayans :pffftt:

sorry mate but I'm gonna be rapturing outta here before that.... :)

Buying winter tires for the wife's car this weekend and will put them on mid-October for sure. My 4X4 has mud/winter tires on already so nothing to do there. Vehicles checked for -40 antifreeze, lots of windshield antifreeze in stock, make sure the engine block heaters are working (electrical test on the plugs), and we're car-ready.

Put away the lawnmower, rakes, drain hoses, etc. already, and get out the snowshovels, ice breakers, and snow-melt. I put in triple-glazed windows and updated doors a few years ago (all new homes have to have them now for building code), and will rake up the leaves fairly soon.

Let the snow come. At least then the bears will quit bothering us trying to get their last meals before hibernating! Love the winter, but wouldn't mind it being a bit shorter. :)

Buying winter tires for the wife's car this weekend and will put them on mid-October for sure. My 4X4 has mud/winter tires on already so nothing to do there. Vehicles checked for -40 antifreeze, lots of windshield antifreeze in stock, make sure the engine block heaters are working (electrical test on the plugs), and we're car-ready.

Put away the lawnmower, rakes, drain hoses, etc. already, and get out the snowshovels, ice breakers, and snow-melt. I put in triple-glazed windows and updated doors a few years ago (all new homes have to have them now for building code), and will rake up the leaves fairly soon.

Let the snow come. At least then the bears will quit bothering us trying to get their last meals before hibernating! Love the winter, but wouldn't mind it being a bit shorter. :)

thanks for reminding me, i still gotta get this done.

It is amusing to see the different outlook on winter across geographies. Having moved from a much colder area to a much warmer area a few years back, it is funny to see people freak out over an inch of snow!
:rotflmbo:

Now a days my big winter prep is to break out the long pants out of storage.
:wave:

It is amusing to see the different outlook on winter across geographies. Having moved from a much colder area to a much warmer area a few years back, it is funny to see people freak out over an inch of snow!
:rotflmbo:

Now a days my big winter prep is to break out the long pants out of storage.
:wave:

B., when I moved the Texas, my sister told me when I asked her about the weather:

"you know how people up north look out the window to see if the first snow is coming?"

"yeah"

"In Texas, in the spring, we look out the window to see if the Lava is coming yet".

Back
Top Bottom