How to calculate cost basis for PMs awarded in a court judgement?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
I saw this quirky story:
Handsome Debonair Guy v. Family Dollar Store Owner

Complaint: I, Handsome Debonair Guy, was assaulted by Family Dollar Store employees. While I was shoplifting. They broke my ribs and gouged my throat with 2-inch fingernails. Now I'm suing for (a) $3.5 million, or (b) an out-of-court settlement for $350K and court fees and "(5) single bars of gold – 1 oz each," or (c) $1M cash and court fees.

and I got to wondering, if someone were awarded "(5) single bars of gold – 1 oz each" (or any quantity of gold or another asset like 5 shares of stock or whatever), how would one determine the proper cost basis for the award for capital gains calculations/taxes?

Solution
Price at close of market on day of acquisitions.....that is a historical and researchable/verifiable number.....if a collectable ..ie above market value it would need a independent appraisal
Price at close of market on day of acquisitions.....that is a historical and researchable/verifiable number.....if a collectable ..ie above market value it would need a independent appraisal

Solution
Back
Top Bottom