Hows your weather?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Here on the Gulf coast, we went from record hot summer directly to winter cold and just sort of skipped autumn altogether. I guess maybe we had a few days of autumn temps so far, but I could count them on one hand.

Gloomy and cold. Can we skip Christmas and go straight to 4th of July?

20231128_165558.jpg20231128_165612.jpg

Over half a million on US East Coast lose power due to winter storm​

(Reuters) - More than half a million homes and businesses were still without power along the U.S. East Coast from Florida to Maine on Wednesday morning due to a massive winter storm, according to data from PowerOutage.us.

New York was the hardest hit state, with nearly 143,000 customers out, followed by Pennsylvania with about 105,000 outages, North Carolina with about 70,000 outages, and New Jersey with about 58,000 outages.

More:

Snowed here last night. Spent an hour and a half using snow blower / shoveling. Don't need a workout today. lol

Was cold and rainy yesterday for me. We got ~10 minutes of light snow that melted as soon as it touched the ground. It's even colder today, but dry and sunny.

Its been a bit chilly here in the Heartland. Its 28 degrees early this morning and it looks like for the first time in about 3 weeks we are going to get above freezing. Our high today is supposed to hit 36. For several days around Jan 10 we never got above zero. Lots of negative temps. Looks like we are on the upswing for a couple of weeks. We've had snow on the ground since Christmas day with little or no melting. Its not a huge amount of snow (about a foot now) but there's plenty of 2 & 3 foot drifts. Spent lots of time digging out of these drifts. This is country living at its finest. We are about 5 miles from the nearest small town. I have a Ranger with a plow attached. We've put it to good use.

photo_2024-01-15_14-33-43.jpgphoto_2024-01-15_14-33-43 (4).jpg
photo_2024-01-15_14-33-43 (3).jpg
photo_2024-01-15_14-33-43 (2).jpgphoto_2024-01-12_19-05-47 (2).jpg
photo_2024-01-12_19-05-48 (2).jpg

9 degrees this morning here in Virginia. Woke up and got the wood stove going again. Make sure you guys keep those pipes from freezing.

hunter6.jpeg

Got you beat by at least double Vichris. We've been in the bullseye to your East this year which is pretty unusual. Probably around 30" of snow in ~2 weeks or less. There was nothing on the ground until Jan 8. I'll have to try and get some photos today.

Got you beat by at least double Vichris. We've been in the bullseye to your East this year which is pretty unusual. Probably around 30" of snow in ~2 weeks or less. There was nothing on the ground until Jan 8. I'll have to try and get some photos today.

Ya we've pretty much matched what Omaha has been hit with. Maybe an inch or two more. I've seen where other parts of the state have been hammered. We got snow on Christmas day which was pretty cool and it pretty much stayed put. I don't see this going away for awhile yet. But we really need the precipitation. Ya get some pics of that 30 inches snow. I'll bet yer having all kinds of fun with those drifts. Cant imagine.

I kept threatening to get a snow blower last summer. Saw all kinds of them for sale cheap. Kick myself now for not getting one. The plow works ok for the bigger open areas but there's lot of places where the snow blower would be a lot more handy. Live and learn.

First couple screen grabs from a video on way home. Clearly its uphill a bit and caches the wind off of a pasture. And then a drift right in front of the house. My back is sore because I'm a fool and still think I'm young enough to shovel this crap.

Finn_Drift.jpg
Screenshot_20240122-105758_Video Player.jpg

Ya we've pretty much matched what Omaha has been hit with. Maybe an inch or two more. I've seen where other parts of the state have been hammered. We got snow on Christmas day which was pretty cool and it pretty much stayed put. I don't see this going away for awhile yet. But we really need the precipitation. Ya get some pics of that 30 inches snow. I'll bet yer having all kinds of fun with those drifts. Cant imagine.

I kept threatening to get a snow blower last summer. Saw all kinds of them for sale cheap. Kick myself now for not getting one. The plow works ok for the bigger open areas but there's lot of places where the snow blower would be a lot more handy. Live and learn.
so are you ready to move back south? LOL.........we got a good dose of ice last night and this morning but so far power is still going etc ...........you guys with the snow need a little cab tractor setup to keep that moved and cleaned up

He likes to chase trucks in the road and got hit. Happened awhile ago and quite a bit better than he was. Lots of bad cuts but nothing broken. :)

Glad he's ok (I like dogs and cats.)

First couple screen grabs from a video on way home. Clearly its uphill a bit and caches the wind off of a pasture. And then a drift right in front of the house. My back is sore because I'm a fool and still think I'm young enough to shovel this crap.

View attachment 11720
View attachment 11721

Lol, I got stuck right about here tonight. Following a big plow who was going real slow up the road. And for some reason there was another truck on a side road just down the hill that waited for the plow to come by and then followed me. Well the plow decides to turn around right about here and so I had to stop. Well far too slick to go up no and the truck behind me. Well he sees after three or four attempts I'm not going up and sliding back. So he goes in reverse and I can see him slipping and sliding a bit as well (while towing a small back hoe thing). I get far enough back to give it a run and finally made it up while the plow truck driver stands up to see WTH is going on.

so are you ready to move back south? LOL.........we got a good dose of ice last night and this morning but so far power is still going etc ...........you guys with the snow need a little cab tractor setup to keep that moved and cleaned up

Oh hell no I'm not moving back. Actually this feels a lot like the winters we had back in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid...... in NM. I'm not joking. My little plow on the Polaris Ranger is doing fine. As long as I don't over do it. I will be getting a snow blower for next season.

View attachment 11720
View attachment 11721

Damn that is some serious snow there. Glad we didn't get hit that hard. I do have a friend who lives a little east of us who really got socked in. Not as much as you did, but close. Of course the big melt has been going on for a few days now. I still expect we'll see another serious storm or 2 this winter.

Sorry to see yer pup got injured Looks like he's on the upswing. Cute little feller. My German wirehair got a bit stir-crazy not being able to get out and run as much as usual but things are mostly back tonormal now

Around 70 here today. Hit the gym then played some p/u b ball outside. Stopped at a bar on the way back, had lunch with some of the old times.

Low 70's today. Just finished cutting the grass. Wore light ankle wghts, feeling good. May play some b ball tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom