I did not know a guy set himself on fire on the Mall

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I never heard about that either. I don't know what this guy wants to go on a hungers strike for, but he's talking about going a month, good luck with that. When I worked corrections we always had inmates go on hunger strikes, and I never saw one make it past 2 skipped meals.

Didn't hear about it either, but I think it goes to show that he did it in the wrong place. Much like the guy in Tunisia, to really get attention, it needs to happen in a public place where lots of people are about - a large, open market, parking lot at a large sports event (like the Superbowl perhaps), or something like that.

Unfortunately, I think Americans are too disconnected to care about a stranger's plight/cause though.

When I worked corrections we always had inmates go on hunger strikes, and I never saw one make it past 2 skipped meals.

Anyone that cannot easily go without food for 2 weeks is not very healthy at all.

About 15 years ago I woke up one New Years Day and decided that I would not eat for a while and see how I did. So, I ate nothing and drank nothing except plain unadulterated water while I continued working my 60 to 70 hours per week. How long did I last? After two weeks I had not slowed down at all. On the 15th day I decided that I had proven that I could go a long time without food, so started eating again.

I was not weak, dizzy, nor anything else. In fact in many ways I felt better then than anytime before or since. I had even considered seeing how long I could go before lack of food would start causing problems.

Did I lose weight? No clue, but probably. I never even thought to check that as when I started I never figured I would get past a week without problems.

End result. It never hurt me at all. And last year I had even considered doing it again, but didn't.

Needless to say, anyone going on a hunger strike does not impress me at all. Either they are healthy enough that it is meaningless, or they will fall prey to their own stupidity.

Anyone that cannot easily go without food for 2 weeks is not very healthy at all.

About 15 years ago I woke up one New Years Day and decided that I would not eat for a while and see how I did. So, I ate nothing and drank nothing except plain unadulterated water while I continued working my 60 to 70 hours per week. How long did I last? After two weeks I had not slowed down at all. On the 15th day I decided that I had proven that I could go a long time without food, so started eating again.

I was not weak, dizzy, nor anything else. In fact in many ways I felt better then than anytime before or since. I had even considered seeing how long I could go before lack of food would start causing problems.

Did I lose weight? No clue, but probably. I never even thought to check that as when I started I never figured I would get past a week without problems.

End result. It never hurt me at all. And last year I had even considered doing it again, but didn't.

Needless to say, anyone going on a hunger strike does not impress me at all. Either they are healthy enough that it is meaningless, or they will fall prey to their own stupidity.

Them quitting had nothing to do with their health. Remember I am talking about criminals here. The reason that most of them are in prison are they wanted to get something the easy way, or lacked impulse control and did something because of that to get locked up. If I had a dollar for every inmate that went on a hunger strike after supper and ended it during breakfast I'd be a millionaire. Most have delusions of grandeur that their protest will end up on the news and they will be granted the peanut butter of their choice as laid out in the constitution. If not, as soon as they found out it's pizza night, hunger strike is over.

Back
Top Bottom