Iceland took the road less traveled

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score

12/2/2010:
12/8/2010:
6/26/2011:
7/6/2011:
Aug 2011:
^^ long and worth clicking the link to read

8/25/2011:
^^ shorter, but also worth clicking to read

Nov 2011:

Iceland gives me hope for the future of human beings. Great article. By the way, you may have missed this move by Iceland about a month ago:

Iceland has become the first western european country to recognise Palestine as an independent state.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/30/iceland-recognises-palestinian-state

In addition, they have passed internet laws to make Iceland a "New Media Haven".

http://www.countercurrents.org/assange170610.htm

Go Iceland!

Unfortunately, getting residency in Iceland isn't so easy.......oh well....

What Island Dweller said.......

In addition, Iceland is healing significantly quicker than.....say.......Greece is going to heal. Greece should have poked the IMF in the eye with a sharp stick and sent them packing. Instead, they sold the souls of their children to the very same bankster scumbags that got them in to the mess they are in.

Last edited:
Too bad it's so cold in Iceland... ICEland!

Otherwise that internet freedom / New Media Haven law would make that country attractive.

Re defaults, I am going to guess that he defaults FIRST, defaults best!

Too bad it's so cold in Iceland... ICEland!

Otherwise that internet freedom / New Media Haven law would make that country attractive.

Re defaults, I am going to guess that he defaults FIRST, defaults best!

I'm considering buying a cheap shtf retreat there.

Anyway: The part of the Iceland story I don't like are the IMF loans...

Ive been a huge supporter of the Icelandic people in their fight against the crooks.

I was fu**ing livid when gordon brown used TERRORIST law to seize all their assets in the UK, leaving them with NOTHING !
They were so skint they couldnt buy food or fuel to run the trawlers to catch fish and sell it to raise $

They all got together and shared what they had, as for a few weeks there WAS NO FOOD in the shops ( the didnt tell you this did they !!!)
Small community and everyone knows everyone. Awesome eh ?

In the end it was Russia and Finland (?) lent em some wonga to get things moving.
The pols tried real hard to get the people to agree to paying off the debt forever but they were so furious with the handful of banksters who shafted em, then flew out in their helis ... talk about two fingered salutes ... and the youngsters were all being forced to go off island to get paying work, so they knew it would rip the community to bits and leave the old folk with an unpayable bill.

Its bloody awesome how theyve turned things around and are once again confident of their future.
They are discussing the possibility of an undersea DC cable to sell power to northern europe using their vast geothermal resources. Talk about a bright future eh ?

And i tried to get a mate in Ireland to sell t shirts and stickers saying -

Iceland got it right, F**K the Banksters.

but by then the worldwide feds had sussed the Iceland trick and applied HUGE pressure on the Irish people, who folded and picked up the bill.

Blimey I'd forgotten how angry I was about the way we shafted Iceland

better go and have a little lie down

...how possible (the above)! See, it is all back like it was in the communist regimes: people just knew, "if it is on the telly, it MUST be a lie"

Back then, we've had "Radio Free Europe", that was broadcast from FREE Western countries, and was obviously being jammed and illegal to listen to. Today we have the Internet (still), that is being jammed and controlled by FREE Western...... wait a second... emmm...

Anyway, fantastic summary, PMBug! It is just funny how they pass these really FUNDAMENTAL stories as "page 27" piece, three paragraphs long, and without any reflection on it... Just enough to fed people with some scraps of information, to prevent them from thinking about, "hey, wait a second, what about that funny little country in the middle of nowhere, that went bankrupt when shite hit the fan in banking sector last time"?

I liked especially the wording of "The Guardian":
"Iceland has finally emerged from deep recession after allowing its currency to plunge and washing its hands of private bank debt, prompting an intense the debate over whether Ireland might suffer less damage if adopted the same strategy."

In bold, can you see the pattern? So many negative associations in the very first sentence, in something that is actually very positive, as a whole, if seen from the reasonable point of view only - how they call it, demagogy? :rotflmbo:. Let me translate:
  • "finally emerged" = "quicker than ANYBODY else on the planet"
  • "deep recession" = much shallower than cherished good-boy Ireland, which have had all the bailouts by IMFs & ECBs, played by the rules, has huge (and rising) unemployment, very big percentage of especially young and well-educated people emigrating, for there's no job for them here, and somehow, beware, it is STILL bankrupt, and much more so then it was three years ago - only difference - not officially.
  • "allowing currency to plunge" = not trying to fight the inevitable, being able to increase competitiviness (forgive me the spelling, if it is wrong), promote foreign investments (=cheap local labor =low unemployment, even in the crisis and contracting economy, for example), promote exports, discourage imports (oh, BTW - the exchange rates have driven McDonalds out of Iceland, at least for a while - they simply could not compete with locals...),
  • "washing its hands" = do the right thing and let the capitalist be capitalist, reap the fruits of THEIR investments, both sweet and sour, and paying for the risks THEY were comfortable with, not the Iceland's people.

Last edited:
1/16/2012:

^:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fitch-upgrades-iceland-to-bbb-stable-outlook-2012-02-17

prosecute bankers? What does that mean? Side by side, those words appear to be from an alien language.

We have reached a point where those who should have been prosecuted have become far too politically connected and far too wealthy to go to jail. When you can afford to hold the dogs at bay for years and years by using the courts as a proxy fighting ring, you can eventually wear them down, or as was documented in one corruption case that went on for over twelve years, you can win through attrition. The witnesses simply grow old and die, so you can no longer confront your accusers or cross-examine witnesses.

Unlike you or I, they have unlimited resources. Witness the following; The U.S. government announced that because of a contract codicil, the taxpayer will now foot the legal bills for the Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae executives who are being charged. The estimated bill? over 22 million dollars. Meanwhile, these douchebags who were paid multi million payouts when they were let go, will continue to walk free.

We no longer have a justice system, we have a legal system that serves only those who can afford to pay for the very best counsel.

Not only have they held the system at bay with their club status, but they're also rapidly approaching the end of a statute of limitations to any written laws that might have been broken to begin with. Scarey how laws are only immediately applied to the little people.

why not let the banksters have ALL the filthy paper money ?

Problem solved.

( new knowledge gleaned from more reading at FOFOA )

Should Iceland's Next Currency be Gold ? eerrrr ......... YES

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article33520.html

....... Iceland could well go the way of the loonie for now.

But as a small, independent nation, why not seize the opportunity to make your mark as a forward-thinking place?

In my view this tiny Nordic nation ought to skip the Canadian dollar altogether and go straight to gold.

Today, Iceland has the chance to truly set a standard: the gold standard.

A move like that would certainly put Iceland back on the map.

Last edited:
I say good for them. We are shitting all over the dollar in teh name of corporate profits and at the expense of every single retire with two nickels to rub together.

Eventually, the Canadians will have to peg the CAD to the USD, just as the SNB pegged the CHF to the EUR, because they wanted to protect their exporters.
So the CAD shouldn't be the currency of choice for Iceland imho.

...see the trouble is, if ANY economy want's to go the gold standard way, it would have a tough time with their exports - since eventually, given the constant depreciation of other currencies vs this gold-backed currency (money printing/QEs/LTROs/whatnots), it would appreciate to such a degree, that it would be impossible to compete with other producers, operating in much less worthy currencies. Costs of local labor would be prohibitive, vs the cheap, paper-paid labor abroad.

Question remains, if it is a bad thing for such economy - because on the other hand, the buying power of the local people will be such, that they will be able to import REAL goods really cheap, for the value of their savings. Ie, they would profit immensely from the "save now, spend later" pattern. Their savings would appreciate relatively, together with their currency appreciating.

I think it would be a good thing - and the only SINGLE requirement here, to make it possible, is to hang central bankers, and NOT be held hostage to interest payments on the banks-issued national money. Something that we would have by design, if on the gold standard, no? No place for funny CBs there. Nor for overspending governments. That is why all the countries are trying to outdo each other in exports, in a vicious cycle of cheapening their currency - there simply is not enough money in the local economy, to pay the banksters both their fractional-reserve backed capital, PLUS the interest - on the money that they have been given monopoly to issue, out of nothing. But you know what - while one strong economy or the other might reach to other nation's monetary supply, to pay back their debts (with disadvataged nation's money) - but globally, there STILL is not enough money, to pay each and all countries debts. And there never will be enough money, for as long, as money is borrowed into existence. That is why some porer, less developed, less powerfull economies are constantly being f*d up their a*s, by the stronger ones. That is just by design...

But that change and riddance of CBs would be pretty difficult to pull, politically... Imagine how much cheaper it is to just shot the Jacksons, Kennedys, Ron Pauls of the world - comparing it to loosing that juicy, steady, hundreds of billions $ per year interest payments, on the banks-issued sovereign nation's money? Thus I do not think it will happened, if not for some absolutely disastrous turn of events - where there will be no other choice, or ruthless enough dictatorship in place, to simply shot the ones with more power over his own (like monetary power). Sadly, because both scenarios are nothing to look forward to (apart from shooting the banksters thing)...

Last edited:
They fought hard to remove the yokes (debts) of the big banks. Are they really going to throw away their opportunity for freedom by accepting new chains?

More: http://www.wakingtimes.com/2012/12/11/icelands-hordur-torfason-how-to-beat-the-banksters/

If it wasn't so cold and dark (during winter), I'd consider moving there.
They still had to jack up taxes, though. And they applied for EU membership, but could withdraw that application.

Didnt know they had made it a requirement that the banks wrote off any outstanding loan that was more than 110% of the property value.

Fucking brilliant and so simple.

Long live the Icelandic attitude !

I applaud Iceland. For the life of me, i cannot understand how our government thinks it is a good idea for the taxpaying citizens of our nation to be saddled with the private debts incurred by private banks and insurance companies. ditto for Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and student loans. I dont remember giving my consent to the backing of a trillion fucking dollars of someone elses loan so they could go get a degree in urban anthropology or womens studies.

You're right, it makes no sense at all for people to do what is being done if they reallt wanted to improve things. Which then leads us to the only logical conclusion - that our economy, and with it our entire society, is being purposefully dismantled.

well, well, well...

Apparently, all is not so rosy in Iceland, as it seemed. In fact, they seem to be in as deep shit, as they ever were, and the macro numbers do not translate into improving situation of the families, at all. Read the article and comments, for great FACTUAL summary what Iceland really did, and how the changes are impacting people's life there (hint: politicians were trying as they might to kiss the banksters' a-holes, and do whatever it takes to please them. Nobody of any significance was really prosecuted, and even people who actually were, received nothing more than a slight slap on their wrist):

http://studiotendra.com/2012/12/29/what-is-actually-going-on-in-iceland/

Brilliant Icelandic blogsite Bushi.

A real eye opener. Thank you.

its now in my favourites list

All is not well in Iceland:
http://www.sovereignman.com/finance/wow-this-story-about-icelands-recovery-is-a-complete-lie-12348/

"A few bankers were investigated and charged with fraud. The CEO of one of Iceland’s biggest failed banks was even convicted, and sentenced.
Now, how long of a sentence does someone get for railroading his nation’s economy? Life? 30-years? 10-years?
Actually nine months. Six of which became probation."

"Meanwhile, the government ended up taking on massive amounts of debt in order to bail out the biggest bank of all– Iceland’s CENTRAL BANK."

"As a result, Iceland’s state debt tripled, almost overnight, in 2008. And from 2007 until now, it has increased nearly 5-fold."

"Iceland’s central bank owns very little of the government debt. The rest is owed to foreign creditors… putting the country in an extremely difficult financial position."

"Meanwhile, although unemployment in Iceland is low, wages are even lower. And the weak currency has brought on double-digit inflation."

"This is most prevalent in the housing market, most of which is underwater. Interest rates have jumped so much that many Icelanders are now on negative amortization schedules, i.e. their mortgage balances are actually INCREASING with each payment."
:doodoo:

Iceland considering a radical proposal:
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2015/04/iceland-ponders-radical-money-plan.html

Not surprised the proposal has a flaw, but very surprised that they are considering any major changes at all.

I read that over on Mish's site. I think it's astounding that they've had this epiphany, especially since the Federal Reserve has most likely "suicided" others who have challenged their monetary hegemony in the past.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Iceland is marching to the beat of their own drum. They aren't on board with whatever NWO schema the G20 is planning.

More: http://icelandmag.visir.is/article/26-bankers-already-sentenced-a-combined-74-years-prison

and apparently have paid off the loans required to get em through a lean time since tshtf and now have a sound economy again.

Why are the 'pigs' not following their lead ?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…