In change

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Joe King

Yellow Jacket
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Got a Richard Nixon, a Gerald Ford and a Harry Truman in change the other day. (Not that they're worth much, but just that they are of low mintage)

Also got a Ronald Reagan awhile back, but spent it prior to seeing how low the montage was on 'em.

I love it when I get a coin that doesn't have that copper tinge on the reeding edge.

I love it when I get a coin that doesn't have that copper tinge on the reeding edge.
We all do.

Speaking of change, walked by a CoinStar machine the other day and noticed that the reject tray was full and there was no one anywhere around the machine. So scooped it all up quick, shoved it in my pocket intending look at it later.

When I did, I was disappointed to find no silver coins. Just regular Nickels dimes and pennies. Also had one quarter, a Canadian quarter, five 2032 batteries (all dead) and one button.

That was the same machine where earlier in the year I found a nice shiny '43 war Nickel lying on the floor nearby.

Got a LBJ in change today, and the tray of the coinstar machine had a bunch of coins in it again. This time there was several Euro coins, A Jamaican $5 coin, several Roosevelt dimes, one silver dime and one silver Quarter.

Got a Calvin Coolidge in change the other day. Tied for fifth lowest mintage @ 8,260,000 coins produced.

George "cia" Bush has the lowest mintage, by far, with just under 3 million minted.

Got a Eisenhower in in change yesterday, and have gotten several innovation coins in change recently, too. Mostly brand new looking coins.

Those aren't even supposed to in circulation, and a bunch of 'em seem to have really low mintages.

Found this on google:
However, these coins are not being released into circulation, and are only available at a premium in bags and rolls directly from the United States Mint.

Yet somehow, I keep getting them in change.

On a related note, who knew that they made a coin with an upside down astronaut on it, who appears to be pulling himself up by the rim of the coin? I sure didn't. Until I got one in change the other day.

Found this on google:
However, these coins are not being released into circulation, and are only available at a premium in bags and rolls directly from the United States Mint.

Yet somehow, I keep getting them in change.

Sounds like some people are buying the bags and rolls directly from the mint and then their kids are finding and spending their coin collections. :paperbag:

Sounds like some people are buying the bags and rolls directly from the mint and then their kids are finding and spending their coin collections. :paperbag:
Maybe, but I'm getting them in change from a gov entity owned vending machine, and I'd think they get the coins from whichever bank they use?

That's where I've been getting the more recent Presidential dollars at, too. One particular machine I noticed that I'd get them, so now I use that machine and always stick a $20 in just to see what I get in change from it. Today I got a Georgia innovation dollar, and another Coolidge and Truman. All look like they just came from the mint. Those golden dollar coins tarnish really quickly once they been in circulation. I get some that are really bad looking too.

Got a Reagan, two Teddy Roosevelts and another Nixon today.

Thieves stole at least 1 million dimes — that's $100K — from a cargo truck parked overnight at a Philadelphia Walmart, police say​

Story by sjackson@insider.com (Sarah Jackson) • Yesterday 12:02 PM

• Thieves made off with an unusual bounty from a Walmart parking lot in Philadelphia on Thursday.
  • At least 1 million dimes, or $100,000, were stolen from a cargo truck parked in the lot overnight, reports say.
  • The truck was carrying $750,000 in dimes from a Philadelphia US Mint facility to Florida.
A Philadelphia Walmart was the site of a recent theft, but the thieves didn't get away with any merchandise from the big-box retailer. Instead, their bounty was coins — lots and lots of coins.

More:

That's a lot of bubble gum.

Every nickel and 3.1ish gram cent I recieve, goes into a special bucket at the end of the day.

Thieves stole at least 1 million dimes — that's $100K — from a cargo truck parked overnight at a Philadelphia Walmart, police say​

• Thieves made off with an unusual bounty from a Walmart parking lot in Philadelphia on Thursday.
  • At least 1 million dimes, or $100,000, were stolen from a cargo truck parked in the lot overnight, reports say.
  • The truck was carrying $750,000 in dimes from a Philadelphia US Mint facility to Florida.
A Philadelphia Walmart was the site of a recent theft, but the thieves didn't get away with any merchandise from the big-box retailer. Instead, their bounty was coins — lots and lots of coins.

More:

There are 4583.5771 pounds of copper and 416.507 pounds of nickel in $100000 face value of dime(s). Thieves needed a big truck or multiple vehicles to carry that loot.

I've found a bunch of the modern era Presidential dollars in just the past week or so. Those made in 2012 and later were also not intended for circulation, and like the innovation dollars also have very low mintages.
....although not as low as the innovation dollars. They made around a million or less of most of those so far.

In this vid the guy says that supposedly some people who bought rolls and bags became disheartened with the collector value, and began spending them.

He also says that some were actually put into circulation. Possibly mistakenly?

As many of these coins as I've been getting (at least 60 of 'em so far and all out of the same vending machine) either someone took a bunch of rolls to the bank to get rid of them, or the mint somehow shipped them to the fed res bank and put into circulation.

The only two modern era Presidents I have not gotten are JFK and shrub's dad. His has the lowest mintage of any of them.

The vid is primarily about errors that can be found in the series.

The part where he talks of them getting into circulation is around the five minute mark.

So far I have not found any error coins.

Rare gold coin from reign of Charles I found in pile of loose change​

Story by Talker News • 31m ago

By Adam Dutton via SWNS

A rare gold coin from the reign of Charles I was found in a pile of loose change and is worth thousands.

The historic gold Unite (20 shillings) piece, dating back to 1625, was discovered with around 200 old coins and bank notes left over from foreign vacations.

The owner found the 400-year-old coin at the back of a dressing table drawer at her late aunt's home in Tunbridge Wells in Kent, England.

She thought it was a fake coin until an antiques expert revealed its true value.

More:

2023 cent errors. Supposedly selling un-graded for as much as $70.

More:

Federal authorities have revealed additional details and unsealed charges related to the theft of over 2 million dimes earlier this year from a tractor-trailer that had collected the coins from the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia.

The truck driver was en route to Miami when, on April 13, he pulled into a parking lot to rest. During the night, thieves absconded with a portion of the cargo, which amounted to $750,000 in dimes, weighing approximately six tons, as authorities previously reported.

20130215_ThisThreadIsUselessWithoutPics.jpg

How many bags do you need to move six tons of dimes? How many tons of dimes can a pickup truck carry? So many questions...

How many bags do you need to move six tons of dimes? How many tons of dimes can a pickup truck carry? So many questions...
They only took around two tons of dimes, per my reading.

It said that the cargo included $750,000 in dimes weighing six tons, and that the thieves took $234,500 of it.
...but it should easy enough to calculate. Just need to know the face value of a literal ton of dimes. No, I did not do the math.

Also, it did not specify that it was a pickup truck, but rather just some type of truck.

At 2.268 grams per dime, they would have stolen 5,318,460 grams of dimes.
...and that makes 5.8626033969 tons, as there only 907,184 grams in a ton.

The article says, "thieves absconded with a portion of the cargo, which amounted to $750,000 in dimes, weighing approximately six tons"

To me, that read as though the entire cargo of $750,000 in dimes, is what weighs six tons.
...but that's not correct.

As I said in my other post, I had not done the math at that time.

I just got a Quarter in change, and it is the weirdest looking Quarter I've ever seen.

It's a new one. A 2023 D, but all it has on it is the new George, the date, the words "Liberty" and "In God We Trust".

That's it. No "Quarter Dollar", nor an "E Pluribus Unum" to be seen anywhere. It doesn't even say "United States of America" on it.

The only thing on the back of it is some African looking woman on a blank field.

I realize they are putting women on the reverse right now, but all the others still have the normal words on them that id's who made it and what it is.
.....and it's not as though there is no room for it. There is plenty of blank field for all of it. Anyone else seen this abomination of a US coin?

Edited to add: also found $2.67 in a CoinStar reject tray the other day. Several Quarters a Dime and some pennies. No silver though.

Last edited:
Heads up for @Joe King :
The United States Mint (Mint) will begin shipping the first coin in the 2024 American Women Quarters™ (AWQ) Program on January 2. The Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver are manufacturing these circulating quarters honoring Reverend Dr. Pauli Murray.

Reverend Dr. Pauli Murray is regarded as one of the most important social justice advocates of the 20th century. ...

US Mint's women quarters program issuing new designs:
The United States Mint (Mint) will begin shipping the second coin in the 2024 American Women Quarters™ (AWQ) Program on March 25. The Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver are manufacturing these circulating quarters celebrating the Honorable Patsy Takemoto Mink.

The Honorable Patsy Takemoto Mink was the first woman of color elected to Congress. She was one of the authors and sponsors of the Title IX law that stated that “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” Title IX was renamed the Patsy Takemoto Mink Equal Opportunity in Education Act following her death.

Give that quarter to a homelass dude.

Back
Top Bottom