Investment demand vs. Industrial demand

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Found this chart while browsing around:

Investment demand is now* greater than industrial demand for silver.

* well it was in 2010 and all indications are that investment demand in 2011 is even greater than it was in 2010

Oh - and industrial demand has apparently been increasing too:

I'm not worried about the "what if industry sells all it's silver in an economic crash" argument.

Fundemental investment/monetary demand is so high as it is, that a sell off by industry would drop prices temporarily and all the investment bulls would just say THANK YOU and fill the void.

One of the fastest growing industrial uses for silver is in solar panels - an industry that government has chosen to subsidize and support (for now at least). I would think that, plus "loony survivalists"* looking for off grid power solutions, should provide some support for industrial demand.

*looks in mirror

Dont forget 15Kg Ag in every Tomahawk missile (or so Im told). We must have gone through a few over the past year in Libya.

source

For months now the Lowly Bearing has been screaming in The Wilderness for a knowledgeable Silver Expert to write a piece for my blog! I am more of a gold guy, but I want those who KNOW a lot about silver and are REALLY BULLISH to write up a piece something like:

"The Case For Silver"

I have seen a lots there at Zero Hedge who say the gold / silver ratio will come back down to its traditional range of approx. 15 / 1. I have seen some say it will go much lower than that (that is, silver will way outperform gold), a couple have even said we may get to 1 / 1... I believe their main arguments also center on both the increasing demand for and falling supply of silver.

Anyone up to the task and want to write it? Let me know...

Last edited:
The issue with the GSR is that most of the silver used in industrial applications is "lost" - unrecoverable / unreclaimable, at least economically, in landfills with other trash. Stocks of above ground / mined silver have been declining for years (decades?) as the price was low and industrial demand took off.

Gold on the other hand is mostly still "in play". Stocks of above ground / mined gold are still circulating or in a vault somewhere. So, while gold is rarer than silver in the earth, when you look at the stock of available metals and the current rate of mining production, available silver is currently much more scarce than available gold.

At least, that's what everyone seems to believe. I'm not sure that central bank gold sitting in vaults should really be considered as available to the open markets though. They seem to only sell, lease, etc. gold amongst themselves.

If silver were to be remonetized, I would buy the argument that the GSR will hit or break 15:1. The GSR was down to ~33:1 back in May before the CME dropped the hammer on it without any hint of remonetization, so it's not hard to imagine what would happen if central banks started investing heavily in it.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/306118-silver-set-to-reach-new-highs

I wish I could figure out how people are sourcing these figures. Those numbers are significantly higher than the Casey research numbers in the second chart in the OP. Also, the US Mint sold 34 million bullion Silver Eagles last year, so the numbers are definitely suspect (34 million doesn't include proofs or other silver coins like the 5oz ATB coins).

There was some interesting information posted in the comments across different articles on ZH this morning on this subject. First, in response to my comment, JLee2027 offered the following link:

http://www.silverinstitute.org/supply_demand.php

which contains this chart:

Notice the source, GFMS, is the same as for the initial chart in the OP of this thread. Notice that it does not show the same picture for investment demand. Very strange.

Next, SRSrocco offered up the following comment in a different topic:

SRSrocco posted a follow up in response to my request:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/eric-...s-retain-silver-produced-cash#comment-1966201

The video cites an article posted by SRSrocco on ZH. When he caught my attention yesterday, I didn't realize he was such a well known commenter on this subject. I must have missed this when it was originally posted a few months ago:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/peak-...-depression-declining-ore-grades-falling-eroi

Sounds like he is on the same page with Chris Martenson.

That brings up a scary scenario for me, one I haven't mentioned before.

1) The Fed, along with other central banks and governments, are making - literally enthroning - gold as the reserve currency. By their actions and not their words.

2) Competing currencies are anathema to currency Ponzi schemes. Destroying competing currencies is a number one priority, legal tender laws being only one means to that end.

3) Silver is the number one competing currency of gold and fiat currencies (regardless of their so-called "backing").

4) Silver is needed for consumption in industrial uses, including "green" technologies and growing "medical" uses.

I could foresee a scenario where silver is destroyed as a competing currency, not by legal tender laws, but by giving it a quasi-sacred "eminent domain-like" status, declared off limits as a currency fer da gud of da klymatt and da peephole; as the silver "hoarders" get politically vilified as greedy people who do not care about saving lives or the environment - who are forced to sell it on the cheap...taking one for "the team".

Governments and central banks win, as the new "gold backed" (but not gold redeemable) fiat currency kills its number one competition once and for all, as all the future silver mined is presumed to be slated for consumption only.

I am not calling it probable - but it is at least plausible, and certainly not out of the realm of human lunacy possibilities we have concocted thus far.

The video cites an article posted by SRSrocco on ZH.

Well, after hearing him quote the numbers, I thought it would be interesting to plot the four data points to see if the above-ground bullion silver supply has been on a steady rate of decrease or perhaps if rate has been slowing down. It looks like the rate of decline has not really changed much since 1950. Also on the graph is a straight-line fit, extrapolated to where it goes to zero.

This graph shows that D-day for silver supplywill be around the start of 2014 if the decline continues at the current rate.

I would like to read more about this topic. Does anyone know where one can go to find the source data that he mentioned in the video and that is plotted in this graph?

Attachments

• silver supply.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
SRSrocco is working on a new article and posted a preview at the Silver Doctor's blog:
More: http://www.silverdoctors.com/future-silver-supply-more-at-risk-than-gold/

Silver prices last Friday hit a new 19-month low as both industrial and investment demand for the precious metal has slowed. Silver for July delivery settled at $26.661 per troy ounce Friday, the lowest since November of 2010. The recent decision by the Federal Reserve to not pursue aggressive stimulus measures has reduced investment demand for safe havens, gold and silver. "In light of silver industrial demand slowing down and investment demand failing to plug the gap, it is the precious metal most vulnerable on the downside," Barclays' Suki Cooper said in a note.

Silver prices last Friday hit a new 19-month low as both industrial and investment demand for the precious metal has slowed.

IMO, you need to differentiate between demand for "paper silver" and physical silver. The paper markets have been subdued ever since the CME margin busting bullshit back in May 2011 and of course MF Global, PFGBest, etc. It's much harder to measure demand in the physical markets, but rumors are persistent that silver is hard to acquire in good delivery bar form right now.

... The recent decision by the Federal Reserve to not pursue aggressive stimulus measures ...

Say what? $40B/month is not aggressive?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…