ISDA says Credit Event

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Looks like the banksters are going to pay out on Greek CDS. This is going to get very interesting from here. Smart money would have Spain and Portugal buying CDS on their own debt, then defaulting. That would be a nice net zero and the bankers would finally get the fucking theyy have been giving these countries for so long.

Goldman seems to be the major underwriter of Greek CDS's according to the initial reaction of bank stocks:

:doodoo:

--------------------------

I read a report on ZH that quotes a total of 3 billion to be paid out on these Greek CDS. Someone needs to 'splain to me exactly why everyone over there was all up in arms about a credit event being declared. Fucking Lehman Brothers nearly took out the entire financial system, yet Greece, who holds a trillion and a quarter in total debts just defaulted on a shit load of bonds, and the market just yawns? What the fuck is going on here? Are there a bunch of these things hidden under the bed somewhere?

KMS, I am beginning to think that it was never about the CDS in the first place, and that it was always about the banks who have this poison on their balance sheets marked to face value instead of true value or something.

The next question is this: Now that Greeks are being paid a hell of a lot less money, and now that tourism has crashed and burned, and now that they have borrowed another huge pile of moolah, when does the sovereign completely default? We all know this deal did nothing but kick the can one more time.

Truth. Matter of fact, they are father in debt now than when they started the bond swap offer. ZH just reported on that today.

I read a report on ZH that quotes a total of 3 billion to be paid out on these Greek CDS. Someone needs to 'splain to me exactly why everyone over there was all up in arms about a credit event being declared. ...

I'm no expert on this subject, but my best guess (pulled from my arse, so FWIW) is that CDS will only be paid for the bond holders who didn't agree to the PSI deal (ie. only ~15% of bond holders) and are subject to the CAC provision.

dont normally but that one kind of threw itself at me

it amuses me when the grammer police occasionally light up at ZH though

hopefully we can all see the difference between a bit of fun and put downs

now wheres that spelchekka ......

I read a report on ZH that quotes a total of 3 billion to be paid out on these Greek CDS. Someone needs to 'splain to me exactly why everyone over there was all up in arms about a credit event being declared. ...

I'm still searching for a definitive answer to this...

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn...y_Part_of_$37_Trillion,_Not_$3.5_Billion.html

Reminder:
http://wakeupfromyourslumber.com/bl...hschild-goldman-sachs-lehman-bros-connections

Thank's for the research Bug.

I think it will take a few days for the peripheral damage to become evident from this complex, opaque and intertwined market of derivatives. Sunday night will give us an opportunity to get our first impressions from Asia. I hope we don't get a massive rush for the exits in gold and silver paper and derivatives.

Indeed, ancona. One take I read somewhere in the various ZH articles said (words to the effect of) that OK, maybe the NET exposure is only the $3.2 bn, but that some players might be much more on the hook than that, while those taking the other side of those trades net the total number down to that $3.2 bn.

Still, this will cost SOMEONE at least $3.2 bn. I wonder who will be left holding the (empty) bag?

I find it curious as well that this "Credit Event" did not make much of a splash, oh wait, of course, me thinking that the State Run Media would talk about defaults and credit events, how silly of me...

And this credit event only covers PART of Greece's debt. And we still have other the PIIS countries waiting in the wings.

If the Eurofellas are VERY LUCKY, maybe they can ring-fence the problem to just Greece, Portugal and Ireland. It appears (and all of this is so murky to an outside observer like me) that if Spain and/or Italy goes, well that's the fat lady singing... Those two go, FRANCE goes, and you have only DAYS (max) to make your last preparations for the financial tsunami to arrive here.

I'll be manning the computer this evening as well seeing how Asia and paper gold react to all of this.

Haven't heard much news on the Greek CDS since mid March, but it looks like holders of CDS for Portugal, Spain, etc. don't want to play the same games:
http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2012/04/30/isda-set-to-decide-on-cds-rules-revamp-within-weeks/

A lawyer for ISDA says the financial-market trade group will decide on potential revisions to legal wording governing the $32 trillion CDS market “within weeks.”

a clear admission that they are changing the rules and that your insurance is no longer valid
but thank you for your premiums and please continue to insure with us, for your peace of mind .......

More: http://sfgate.bdc.bloomberg.wallst....376-M3R8LG07SXKX01-27S1KEC70D6N0O2H0RBST9DVJ6

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…