Italian mafia caught with $ 6 TRILLION in fake US treasuries [no joke!]

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
This is not a joke, that's trillion with a T = $ 6000000000000:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-of-fake-u-s-bonds-seized-in-mafia-probe.html

As a reminder:
the national debt of the United States was only $28 billion in 1934
http://www.quatloos.com/morganthau_bonds.htm

Pictures of the boxes released by BBC, of course they used Chicago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17076378

EDIT: Here's the initial offering on some kind of offshore banking forum:

h xx p://members4.boardhost.com/offshorebanking/msg/1319204795.html

Last edited:
really odd....i read something eerily similar to this, months ago. It was about some guy that worked for some extremely rich "ancient asian" family..cant remember all the details....or very many of them for that matter. It was some conspiracy theory thing.

(Joke) Who says they're fake? Why, the guys who'd have to pay them if not. Heh.

I mean work it out - if they're (obviously?) fake, why the threat to financial stability? Going to buy plutonium with them? Code for "we really gotta make sure everyone knows this is really bad news" since there's no loose plutonium around to buy, particularly not in Nigeria - we've been burning bought Russian (and our own) plutonium in MOX reactors to get rid of it. The stuff has more than minor handling problems, no amateurs need apply. Plutonium is kind of gold colored...the real threat? Bu then again, cops always like to spin the bad guys as worse than they are - to justify inappropriate force, and to cast themselves as heroes saving the world. Just like any other action movie where we have to be shown just how evil the bad guy is so the good guy can go completely postal on him later to cheers - else we'd realize the good guy is pretty vicious/evil himself.

Yes, there was a conspiracy (or some kind of tin foil) theory that some old bonds from previous wars, owned I think by Chinese, were going to be forced to pay out, and they were selling pieces of the lawsuit against the US gov to force the payout. My thought at the time was even if it was true - good luck suing the government out of huge amounts of money. Those civil dispute laws are only for us "little people" Government long ago exempted themselves from most all of that, and in this case the numbers were big enough that Congress would hop on some special legislation to make it null anyway.

There are entirely too many people in the world dreaming of "that one big score" - they make for easy prey, which encourages the bad guys to keep trying that kinda crap. I prefer to let them play with one another as long as they leave me out of it.

Last edited:
(Joke) Who says they're fake? Why, the guys who'd have to pay them if not. Heh.

...it was my immediate thought, I like your thinking DCF!

Imagine that scenario:

• Mafia has all sorts of ways to launder money - buying legit securities by scam funds is one of them, if Hollywood is to be believed
  • Team America has figured one of their laundering operation out
  • They move in, they declare the stuff they confiscated "fake", to the tune of 6 Trillions (who says so...) and voila! that & that much of sovereign debt paid, and couple of mafiosos out of their big money.

I obviously don't think that 6Trillions of fake obligations could be even sanely believed to be sold to suckers, I mean, c'mon! Global GDP of "real" economy estimated around 70trillions??? Who would bother trying to stash so much, if it couldn't be possibly sold, no way? I know criminals are not necessarily the brightest guys in the room, but ones who can try and sell this kind of stuff, are definitely not the dumbest of them...

Barron's, the big financial newspaper/magazine they put out on the weekends had an article that provided a few details on the $6 trillion scam.

Apparently it was a mickey-mouse scam to try and fool some Swiss banks (these clown gangsters think that Swiss are THAT stupid, geez...).

So, I wrote that up at my new blog article reviewing Barron's this weekend, included is my take on the TUNGSTEN piece, the Hugh Hendry interviews and how perma-bear Alan Abelson almost gave me a coronary...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…