Jewelry As Investments?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ADK

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Do any of your guys out there consider jewelry as an investment, or partial investment?

I've been thinking about buying some lately for both me and my wife... anniversary coming up and all. It's just got me thinking.

From what I see, when you re-sell jewelry the value of the stones rarely plays in to the total value --- or at least not nearly as much as you paid.

Thoughts?

:popcorn:

ADK

Asian people buy gold jewelry as investments. For example, Thai Baht jewelry is sold in units of approximately 1 BAHT = .5 TROY OUNCE, at 96.5% purity. It makes trading especially easy since each piece of jewelry contains the same amount of gold.

Jewlery in the U.S. is marked up an incredible amount. They can put it on sale for 50+% and still make profits off of the stuff. Jewlery is not an investment unless you can get into the high end antique stuff.
$.02

men like coins- woman like jewelry. If the person wont stack- then yeah- get the real jewelery.

It is better then nothing-

It almost seems like "investing" in a new car...

But I have read about India and their investment in gold jewelry as a standard mode of investing for typical families. That made me think of this option. My wife isn't a stacker, unfortunately.

From what I have found, mark-ups from jewelry wholesaler to retail is approx. 200 to 300%.

I think that I need to become a pawn broker.

:)

A buddy of mine- does antiques and collectables. He knows his stuff.

He has 10s of thousands $ in it. Much he got for pennies on the dollar.

It is still better then paper.

Back
Top Bottom