Just Doesn't Add Up

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mark

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I tell ya guys; I know I'm new to hoarding silver, but I just don't get it. I like the Libertad (although, I've really decided just to invest in ASEs), and thought for diversification purposes (and in case TSHTF), it may be good to have some fractionals, but at $80.00 an ounce for a fractional Libertad??? I mean, c'mon. Same with fractional bars. Some assayers want three times as much for less than an ounce. And what's the deal with "Pamp Suisse"?:flail:

Supply and demand
Lots of folks can't afford an ounce, but will fork over a significant premium for a tenth of an ounce on an assay card.

If you want fractional Ag,buy 90% Dimes & Quarters.
Pamp Bars are in vogue therefore the big premiums.

I go with the full 1 oz Silver Eagles, and I feel just fine about them. They would be recognizable, thought not as much as the "junk silver " dimes and quarters.

Yes, if you are going to buy under 1 oz at a time, junk silver seems to be the way to go.

I buy the Silver Eagles, even with the extra premium, because it is recognizable. And they stack nicely in the tube as well. And if the time comes when I have to spend them, it will always be the silver stuff I am selling.

As I've said in other threads, in a SHTF scenario, I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people your dimes are actually worth $2.24. I would stick to coins that have "1 oz Silver" stamped right on them.

Well, I had a few Engelhard/JM bars and about 12 APMEX/Silvertownes and took them in yesterday and traded 'em all for ASEs. I think everyone is correct as they're inscribed, "1 OZT Fine" and being minted by the Treasury Dept., I think if TSHTF, they'll be easily recognizeable. Bars, not as much so by the mainstream public. Plus, with 90%, not everyone knows the true percentage. I even have a Libertad I think I'll e-Bay, just so's I can replace it with an Eagle. I love Libertads and the fact that they're available in fractionals makes me like 'em even more, yet the main stream "idiocy" wouldn't recognize them for what they are. And they're not Legal Tender, so to speak. So.... it's all the way with the USA for me. "GO ASE!"

As I've said in other threads, in a SHTF scenario, I think you're going to have a hard time convincing people your dimes are actually worth $2.24. I would stick to coins that have "1 oz Silver" stamped right on them.

I believe in a SHTF scenario people will learn quickly about 90% Ag.
More are learning about it everyday.
Just my $.02$.02

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!

I don't know... I still look at PMs mostly as a preservative of weather through a SHTF scenario.

Bars are good. Some ASE and Maples.

During the SHTF scenario, I think booze, smokes, ammo, etc., are going to be more of a hot commodity that a 90% dime.

Those bullion pieces will be handy after things come back around and the value of the local currency is reset.

ADK

*Warning Thread Hijack*

Not only will folks recognize 90% pretty quickly, they will recognize those little airport size bottles of booze I have neatly stacked along side the other "tradeables" I have stashed. Never underestimate the ability of people to recognize what is truly valuable.

As much as I feel the need to stack silver, I also stack things like those small propane cylinders for camp stoves, and spray-can sized cans of butane for my little two burner butane camp stove that folds up in to a little suitcase. These will be like fucking gold to someone who has spent a few weeks eating cold canned goods.

I don't know... I still look at PMs mostly as a preservative of weather through a SHTF scenario.

Bars are good. Some ASE and Maples.

During the SHTF scenario, I think booze, smokes, ammo, etc., are going to be more of a hot commodity that a 90% dime.

Those bullion pieces will be handy after things come back around and the value of the local currency is reset.

ADK

I agree.The original subject was about fractional Ag & the huge premiums.
90% Dimes Quarters etc are the best value for fractional Ag.
SHTF scenario,PM's are way down the line IMHO,water,food,shelter,defense etc are much more important.
Again,just my $.02$.02$.02$.02 (adjusted for hyperinflation)

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Last edited:
Ammo will be a good commodity. And it can be had in fractionals, too. .38 short Colt would be half a .357 mag. .32 short would be half a .32 H&R mag or .327. A .44 spec. would be half a .44 mag. I'd give someone a .357 mag bullet for two .38 short colt bullets any day. At least we're back on the subject of fractionals.

I tell ya guys; I know I'm new to hoarding silver, but I just don't get it. I like the Libertad (although, I've really decided just to invest in ASEs), and thought for diversification purposes (and in case TSHTF), it may be good to have some fractionals, but at $80.00 an ounce for a fractional Libertad??? I mean, c'mon. Same with fractional bars. Some assayers want three times as much for less than an ounce. And what's the deal with "Pamp Suisse"?:flail:

Diversify.

ASE's and other troy oz units only, will limit your purchases 1 troy oz or greater. Potential losses to those without change. Additionally, 90% is commonly the least expensive. The black market and bartering will be done with a scale. Markings will not be particularly relevant. Testing will be applied and 90% dimes are far to small to counterfeit profitably today.

Purchase 90% dimes and consider them to be a days pay; as 2/3rds of the world works for less than $2 per day. The US in less than ten years will be identical, although not measured in $$$.

ADK's bartering currency examples, 100% correct Proof is in all failed economies and countries of the 20th century. Research such for preserving your own gain.

Partly agree. I think it'll be hard to give someone a Roosevelt dime and tell them it's worth more than face value.

But if you present a coin that is no longer circulated, e.g. walking liberty 1/2 dollar or mercury dime, perhaps that'll be easier.

Partly agree. I think it'll be hard to give someone a Roosevelt dime and tell them it's worth more than face value.

But if you present a coin that is no longer circulated, e.g. walking liberty 1/2 dollar or mercury dime, perhaps that'll be easier.

Pre-64 dimes, quarters and half dollars are easy to distinguish from current forms of the coins just by looking at the edge of the coin. Pre-64 coins will be solid silver/gray on the edge. Post-63 coins will have a two-tone edge indicating that they are not 90% silver.

Back
Top Bottom