Kitco Article on Rare World Metals Mint

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I recently wrote an article on my blog talking about oddball Pt Group metals, one of the sources is Rare World Metals Mint. They sell some 12 different metals for Investors/Collectors. One of them (recently introduced) is iridium.

All of their metals are in one toz ingots, with a purity stamp and serial number. If you like metals, you will like this article!

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Albrecht/2...ioneering-a-Market-for-Technology-Metals.html

Interesting article. I agree that technology demand will increase the prices of some metals in future, however, don't you think that this may tempt a lot of people to buy based on rarity of the metal, not on its actual utilization possibilities and demand?

Otherwise, prospects definitely look promising for Iridium.

... They will have a market eventually, I believe. It is a very thin market right now, and it is not a very accessible market for private investors. ...

That's what I've been saying all along. This is a very long (and optimistic - no TEOTWAWKI scenarios) play.

Yes! These metals are for optimists!

If it all goes south (TEOTWAWKI), it really is gold & silver, and that's about it.

The other thing to ponder re the Pt-Group metals is that there will always be pressure to reduce usage in applications (to lower costs) or find substitutes. They are always trying to do this re the rare earth metals for example, with modest success.

Rhenium, apparently, is non-substitutable in the new generation turbine for jet engines. The turbine blades in engines used on the Boeing 787s are made with some 6% (!) rhenium.

If the future is good, then rhenium may be worth a look. I am looking...

Back
Top Bottom