Legal Tender

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yes, but it's 90% silver, just like a pre-'65 coin, so I'd treat it that way and not drop it in a coke machine. I have several rolls of them. Every now and then APMEX had the "imperfect" ones for less than regular pre-65 junk silver and I would snatch up a couple rolls every time.

The Mint sold proof coins in rolls? I thought they generally cased proof coins in plastic for display / protection.

The Mint sold proof coins in rolls? I thought they generally cased proof coins in plastic for display / protection.

I don't know if the mint sold them like that or not, like I said, I got mine from APMEX and the were ones that were called "impaired". The first couple rolls I opened to examine and most of them I couldn't find much if anything wrong with, and some had minor scratches or pitting, etc. As I was just buying them for junk silver value, and they were selling them for cheaper than I could buy pre-'65 junk silver for, I was happy to get them. Here is a link to them, but they are not available right now.

http://www.apmex.com/product/37167/10-proof-quarters-90-silver-40-coin-roll-impaired

The picture shows a bag, but all of mine have arrived in a roll.

I have set aside these quarters in question and always thought that someone was breaking open some silver proof sets to get these rolls. I've always thought of them not as 90% silver (even thought they are).

Not a coin collector but I thought this was an interesting vid. It's in Englnd.

Victorian Cash Still Legal in 2023!​

May 22, 2023

6:16

Incredibly, in 2023, a Victorian pre-decimal coin is still legal tender in the UK. This is the strange story of the Double Florin.

The same can be said of US coin and currency. You could spend a Barbar half dollar anyplace. The only thing stopping you is the cashier. Most people don't know that the US still has almost all of their coin and currency still as legal tender. Sometimes when I'm in a humorous mood I will try and spend a $500 bill and most of the time I'm told that the bill is counterfeit and I could be arrested for passing such a bill. There have been 2 times when I've been handed a gold back bill and I just pocketed and went on my way. I've had cashiers hand be a star bill in change. I keep it but try and educate the person so that they may make a buck or two (but not on my bill).

I enjoy trying to spend a $500 bill. I've been threatened that the police are coming and they don't know what to do. I'm going to have to stop doing that.

I've gotten Barber coins back in change as well as Indian pennies, Liberty head nickels, and other old coins and I don't complain. A number of years ago my uncle got a yellow gold back $20 dollar bill from a bank teller in his change. He accepted it as contribution to his safe keep keeping.

So as you know searcher this can happen on both sides of the big pond.

Circulated “legal tender” coins are neither sound money nor even, apparently, legally recognized money in all circumstances anymore.

Because of Federal Reserve inflation, the copper contained in pre-1983 copper pennies is today worth almost 3 cents.

A Colorado judge, Joseph D. Findley, ruled last month that a business owner acted “maliciously and in bad faith” by paying $23,500 in mixed denominations of coins (i.e. pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters) in one large 6500-pound box to settle a debt with another company.

Back
Top Bottom