Looking into getting PMs, thinking of Eagles/Buffalos?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rkd80

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hi Forum!

First post, but figured I would ask a bunch of folks then read websites touting their services all day long.

I have been thinking for years that I should transform a portion of my bank liquidity into PM and after discovering resources like Doug Casey, Simon Black, etc am figuring that each day is a risk I am taking for no good reason.

Based on my research, I am curious what you guys think as a starting play to purchase a mix of:

Silver Eagels
Gold Buffalos
Other official legal tender coins in various sizes.

I like bars for size/stacking, but seems like the premiums paid over legal tender official coinage offers a great deal of benefits in terms of privacy.

Any links, thoughts, opinions.

Also, I am in the North East section of America - anyone know local dealers that they trust? Otherwise thinking of going with places like JMBullion and other large internet warehouses.

Hi rdk80, welcome to the forum. :wave:

I like Eagles (both silver and gold). I assume by "Other official legal tender coins in various sizes" you mean "junk silver" aka 90% silver. I like that too.

A few years ago when financial mountains were moving, there was a run on precious metals. Junk silver became extremely hard to find and premiums on legal tender gold/silver (Eagles) far outpaced private mint stuff. It was pretty clear that they were favored by investors at the time.

A couple of thoughts:
  • buy a good safe
  • don't tell anyone about your acquisitions
  • go sailing*

* that's a PM community joke

Thank you for the welcome! I am definitely a tad bummed at the premiums that I am paying for the sovereign metals, but it also appears that the liquidity on these things far outpaces any of the private mint stuff.

It would appear that a good strategy is to have a blend of some bars/rounds just for the precious metal sake of it all, but I love the idea of having the capability of moving from one asset to class to another. As such, eagles and others like pandas/leafs, etc seem to fit the bill.

I live in a small home, storage is an issue and I have to consider that when making a purchase. Right now, Provident is offering a monster box of eagles at what comes out to 18.26 per coin, very attractive.

Do most folks here use safes? Are insurance policies taken out?

I am not too comfortable paying .50% premium on a 3rd party safe, but neither am I comfortable stashing all that wealth at home. Definitely a barrier to entry.

I live in a small home, storage is an issue and I have to consider that when making a purchase ....... .neither am I comfortable stashing all that wealth at home. Definitely a barrier to entry.

Water ! lots of it, with rocks and a known exposure to strong winds (-;

Probably the most common form of storage round these parts

apparently

welcome aboard rkd :cheers:

Been there and done that... decision.
Considering the amount of time that has since passed,
I would have purchased only transaction sized, semi-numismatic, highly recognized coin.
The rounds and bars I bought then, are worth spot today.
The semi-numismatic coins, I am selling at profit, and gaining weight of the same, newly minted.
Rather enjoyable, turning time and metal into more metal.
The bars and rounds, only the market decides.
90%ers are indispensable for "if" and "when".
The Eagles..... plain old boring, look how they dress it to sell it.
Ms this and MS that, 1st day, 1st 1000, blah blah blah, only 40+ million sold!
Got some, so they are in the inheritance stack = MOAR! time.
Skip the Eagles and go with industry ready .9999 Maples instead.
Consider Maples with a privy mark, less minted and will gain value faster than time and market alone.
2nd year less minted .9999 Aussie Kangaroos have better gain probability.
Gold, smaller is better for resale and transactions.
Buffs are rather appealing however.
Aussie gold rises faster, roos and lunar and such.

Most importantly, enjoy your purchases and gains.
Smile as you acquire real money.
Beware of MA; Metal Addiction.

Silver.com is JMBullion but costs less for large orders, compare.

Dragon,

Can you expand your thinking regarding eagles vs. maples? To me it seems like largely the same thing, but Eagles tend to move a bit easier in the States no? Although I live in the Northeast and driving to Canada with a stash of Maples if need be is not a crazy idea.

When you say semi-numismatic, do you mean just older government minted stuff? Would a buffalo fit that category?

When you say smaller gold, as in fractional ounce stuff?

I was under the impression that I should stay away from the privately minted stuff for the following reasons:

- privacy
- taxes?
- faster resell

My primary concern is not being able to transform from one asset class to the next. Don't want to get stuck with a ton of metal and no way to move it.

I buy mostly silver, the gold I have bought is either eagles or maples. For silver I like to keep my amounts roughly 1/3 each of govt. issued bullion, 1/3 private mint stuff & 1/3 junk silver. For Govt. stuff, I like the maples & eagles, but also have a bit of others too & the Canadian silver 10ozt bars are very nice too! :mrt: The 1/3 in private coins/bars I usually just mostly buy stuff that is the best price, while still fairly well known, but I also buy some stuff that just catches my fancy, For junk silver I again try to keep around 1/3 of that each in dimes, quarters & halves. I don't have too many silver dollars as the premium on them is just stupid high. I also don't care for the 40% nickels or 1/2's either, but that's just me.

I do recommend getting a good safe to store in, of course if you like taking your PM's recreational boating like so many of us do & have the same bad luck as the rest, then it will almost never get full, but happy stacking & sailing anyway! :wave:

Last edited:
Dragon,

Can you expand your thinking regarding eagles vs. maples? To me it seems like largely the same thing, but Eagles tend to move a bit easier in the States no? Although I live in the Northeast and driving to Canada with a stash of Maples if need be is not a crazy idea.

When you say semi-numismatic, do you mean just older government minted stuff? Would a buffalo fit that category?

I was under the impression that I should stay away from the privately minted stuff for the following reasons:

- privacy
- taxes?
- faster resell

My primary concern is not being able to transform from one asset class to the next. Don't want to get stuck with a ton of metal and no way to move it.

I have never had any trouble selling any type of silver (or gold) if I've needed quick cash. I can buy maples cheaper than eagles, but when it comes time to sell them, they both sell for spot at my LCS , so which is the smarter buy? Junk silver & private mint stuff is the same thing, they all sell for spot. If you are looking 100% for best value on re-sale, & aren't worried about having any diversity in your stack, then buy private mint bars, bigger ones usually are cheaper per ozt. I don't know what issues with privacy you think you will have vs govt coins compared to private mint conis/bars. Neither are "registered" & if you order online both can be traced to you, & if you use an LCS & don't pay in cash it could also be traced to you. This is why recreational boating is your friend. As for taxes some states have sales tax, others don't, some exempt PM's from sales tax, some don't. duckduckgo.com is your friend.

Last edited:
Dragon,

- privacy
- taxes?
- faster resell

Transforming is a risk across the board, regardless of assets.
The risk is maintaining value to and through transaction, and market rules such.

Maples have higher purity, lower premium, lower mintage, and are from a slightly less dominating country, yes?
Semi-numis are Pandas, Somalia Elephants, Australia,(lunar, koala, kookaburra) Maple privys, Rwanda, Mexico, etc.
Govt coins with individual value beyond weight caused by market demand.
Aussie silver swan a prime example, but only worth it if you bought in the $20's.
Rwanda 1st year of series lunar rooster, only minted for demand, may go crazy, but an arm in the cost.
No dealer but apmex has right now, price on eBad is in 30's, and we are past 1/2 year of slow silver sales.

As stated, these coins have potential to maintain value gain when bullion spot drops.
Giving you opportunity to sell for weight gain if and when.

Yes, just like junk silver, smaller allows transactions to stay close to liquidity NEEDED for purchase.
If the seller has no change, do you wish to buy a dozen eggs for 1 oz of silver, or a silver dime.
If a car costs 3/4 oz gold, you wish to give 7 or 8 10th oz or the whole buffalo?
Same for a quick injection of liquidity to your wallet, sell 1 oz or a 10th or (2)10ths.

Private mints are all bullion, some do gain value beyond.
Privacy is only available at LCS, with cash and no exchange of personal information.
Map 'em online and take a day or two and visit all of them.
Privacy has massive value in our "Blade Runner" "Matrix" reality.
The govt is recording absolutely everything else.
To even attempt to rationalize any other assumption = (0) ZERO privacy.

Taxes - Read your state and know federal LAWS beforehand if concerned.

Resell; again, market demand as is with everything on the planet.
Even if most recognized, popular, and pretty, does not mean guaranteed sale thereof.

This is your study time for purchasing exam, this and other forums are hearsay.
So are the manipulated silver and gold markets.
Your timely gift is low spot price entry.
Makes premiums and semi-numi prices for those who can look ahead, seem minimal.
Old Timers are still pinching pennies and saying TOOO MUUCCHH !
Well, inflationary adjustment of spot price to just 10 years ago, and silver with or without numi/privy is CHEAP.
Plain ol' bullion silver stays plain, you can sell semi-numis at plain ol' bullion price, not the reverse.
Before you purchase anything, look at sales of same in older mintages of, upon dealers and eBad.
Left hand column of eBad page check small box saying "sold".

Back
Top Bottom