Looks like I'm going to need a bigger wallet

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
caa79c3a75382091378afad01f5e6f9b

The Perth Mint has unveiled the world's largest and most valuable gold coin.

Weighing in at just over one tonne, the 99.99 per cent pure gold coin has been valued at more than $50 million.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-27/one-tonne-coin/3604466

Last edited:
Our fund bought a 10 kilo coin back in 2006 and I thought we were being insane..

See, gold coins are just too cumbersome to carry around and use as money, better off sticking with paper.:paperbag:

^ Yeah, I was thinking that carrying a suitcase full of paper was way better than pushing a structurally reinforced wheelbarrow with my 1 ton gold coin the next time I needed to walk around with $50 million.

:D

* bump *

AA1jRna5.img

This 24-carat coin is more than worth its weight in gold - with it expected to sell for up to a staggering $152K at auction.

The one kilo coin - one of only 15 ever made by the Royal Mint - has an official denomination of £1,000.

But experts at Hansons Auctioneers believe it will sell for between £100,000 and £125,000 next week.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...to-sell-for-up-to-152k-at-auction/ar-AA1jRbE5

Apparently I missed the auction on Thursday. Oh well.. I guess I just need to wait for one of the other 14 coins to become available.... :paperbag:

More info about the 1 tonne coin mentioned in the OP:
... the coin has a face value of AU$1 million (US$648,000) making it the world’s largest legal tender coin.

... this 12-centimeter (4.7-inch) thick coin is roughly half a Danny Devito tall – that’s 80 centimeters (31.4 inches) ...

More:

I didn't know it was actually (nominally) legal tender. Wild!

More info about the 1 tonne coin mentioned in the OP:

More:

I didn't know it was actually (nominally) legal tender. Wild!
If our congress got ahold of it, it wouldn't last 12 hours.

Half would go immediately to Ukraine where it would vanish without a trace, thirty percent of it would go to some alphabet cause like Gay and Transgender Underwater Basket Weaving, and the other twenty percent would simply vanish into multiple offshore bank accounts owned by the likes of Schumer and Pelosi.

Back
Top Bottom