Important Market data charts on home page

Thread contains important information that may impact how you use the forum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
I'm experimenting a bit right now. Any thoughts on the finviz charts vs. the kitco ones? I think on smaller screens, the finviz charts may be hard to read.

I think on smaller screens, the finviz charts may be hard to read.
You are correct in that assessment.

Edited to add: you can see which way things are moving, but the numbers are hard to see.
...but even the kitco ticker you had was small and had to be zoomed in on to be able to read it. I think pretty much any of 'em are gonna look tiny on small screens.

Last edited:
I made another adjustment (showing a 2 rows of 2 charts instead of 1 row of 4). I think they are bit easier to read now, but they take up a lot of top of the fold real estate now.

Should I ditch them and put the kitco charts back?

Should I ditch them and put the kitco charts back?
Imho, make some changes and wait for more feedback on it. Personally, as long as there is a way to see it, it's alright.
On our old site, none of the tickers ever showed up on my small screen anyways. I would have to set it to display desktop version if I wanted to see it.

I've restored the kitco widgets to the top of page and moved the finviz charts to a sidebar. I think this might work.

BTW, I could add any number of finviz charts there - WTI/Brent crude, DJIA, Nasdaq 100/Russell 2000, VIX, Platinum/Palladium, 30/10/5/2 Yr treasury bonds, etc. Anything in particular be of interest to you folk?

Not crazy about Kitco but it seems to be accurate and easier to read. The one in the middle anyway.

The side charts look good on a computer. Don't know about a phone type device. I rarely use my phone for here (i.e., never).

Top charts same thing.

I prefer typing on a keyboard.

... Don't know about a phone type device. ...
This is a responsive template so the side bars appear below the main content when viewed on a phone. On my phone, the side charts look even better than on the computer. Bigger and easier to read. You do have to scroll down a bit to see them though.

can we get a BitCoin Chart on the front page with the other charts?

It already exists in the widget block with an Ethereum chart. If you are on desktop, you will see it on the right hand side. If you are on mobile, it's at the bottom of the page.

I had experimented with replacing the kitco charts with the Finviz charts a while back, but the Finviz charts are a larger size and did not fit well in a horizontal widget.

I'm open to suggestions/ideas on the layout though.

It already exists in the widget block with an Ethereum chart. If you are on desktop, you will see it on the right hand side. If you are on mobile, it's at the bottom of the page.

I had experimented with replacing the kitco charts with the Finviz charts a while back, but the Finviz charts are a larger size and did not fit well in a horizontal widget.

I'm open to suggestions/ideas on the layout though.

thanks Mang!

I had not scrolled down the page in forever but now I see it..

thanks for the heads up!

I replaced the kitco charts at the top of the page for the moment. We lose market data on platinum and palladium with this layout, but the Finviz charts are more reliable and informative than the kitco charts. What do you all think? Better or worse than what we had with the kitco charts?

Gotta be better than Kitco, just gonna take a little time getting used to the layout/size.

It's a constant battle to find a chart that works well. Kitco charts frequently "freeze" and don't t update for hours. The Finviz charts we are using now seems to update with every screen refresh, but they lag real time by 15 minutes.

netdania.com charts are interactive javascript that won't work for embedding in pmbug.com pages like the Kitco and Finviz charts.

When I visit the Finviz gold chart on the finviz site:

I see that they are actually quoting the price for a "100 ounce gold contract" (I assume the COMEX's GC contract?) whereas netdania is charting the XAUGLD. Looks like they are not the same thing.

Traders often talk about the XAU, but what does it stand for? It's the ticker symbol for the Philadelphia Stock Exchange Gold and Silver index, which tracks the performance of a basket of gold and silver mining stocks.
The XAU is not computed as a simple average of a group of stock prices. Instead, like the S&P 500 and many other indices, the XAU is a capitalization-weighted index, which means that the larger companies in the index account for a greater percentage of the index's value.

Marketwatch lists a GC00 "Gold Continuous Contract" that appears to match the Finviz chart:

So what does it mean when XAU has a wide divergence from the GC00?

I'm not sure about these charts. Trading View might be an option but I don't know how it would work. Kitco was more readable than these are.

Maybe try Goldseek.

I spent some time this morning reconfiguring the Market Data widgets (both top and side/bottom). If you visit your Preferences page:

You will now see a new configuration option called Market Data (just above the Push notifications setting) that has 3 radio button options:

Finviz charts
Kitco charts
Goldseek charts

You can select one of the three and that will determine which charts you see on the home page (and forum node/list page). You can go to your preferences page and change that setting at any time if you want to compare the different charts/layouts/etc.

I'm open to ideas/suggestions if there is something you would like to see different or new from what I've done so far.

^^^^^^

I like what you did with the preferences, especially chat, hot takes & politics. (y)

Any chance you can make the charts clickable links?

If you made them 4 across the top they wouldn't take up the whole screen and they'd still convey information.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 10.37.09 AM.png

The Finviz charts are wider than the Kitco and Goldseek ones. I tried 4 across once and they got squeezed so much you couldn't see anything. I can try experimenting again though.

Looks good here too.

What's the difference between the 3 charts? Anything notable?

I just poked around between the 3. I prefer the Finviz.

Thanks!

...What's the difference between the 3 charts? Anything notable?
Finviz tracks Comex contracts which fairly closely track spot futures, but sometimes vary noticeably. Goldseek and Kitco track the spot futures, but are different asthetically and may have different uptime (refresh with fresh data may vary).

i do find it intresting that the Finviz is showing a gap up today on both au and ag ....that both kitco and goldseek do not

Ever since selecting a market data option, the site lags significantly for me. weblinks247.com seems to be the culprit.

Is there a way to not have any market data?

I checked kitco this morning and I don't see where they are still publishing the metals charts like they used to. They are using some tradingview charts on their own site now.

I've replaced the Kitco charts with Goldseek charts on the Kitco option for now. Maybe kitco is still fixing their site and they will publish the charts again. If so, I'll fix it when I can.

Kitco fixed their chart publishing some time ago. This morning, I updated the Kitco chart option here to show the Kitco charts again.

I also found a 24 hour Gold-Silver ratio chart from Goldseek, so if you set your chart preference to Goldseek, you will see that chart in the display now. The Goldseek charts are now 5 across and a bit crowded, so if they are now too small, I can remove one of the charts to restore the original display size. Let me know what you all prefer.

Back
Top Bottom