Mining companies and low PM prices

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I was doing some research on mining companies and ran across this article on silver mining:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3414466-hecla-mining-metal-prices-have-driven-massive-change

I was struck by this quote:
"Right now under $16 an ounce most businesses in the sector simply won't survive. They are cutting costs as much as possible."

For me, the strongest bullish indicator in commodities is when the price of a commodity falls below the cost to mine/harvest/produce that commodity.

:cheers:

If I were a mine owner, I'd say to hell with forwards and hedging, I would close the shafts and lay everyone off. When the shit stops coming out of the ground, the banksters will be put on notice to stop their shenanigans.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/374...loss-making-in-q3-despite-the-gold-price-fall

"In Q3 2015, globally, the consultancy reports that gold mining total cash costs (TCC) averaged $652/oz..."

"If one looks at the industry in the light of the stricter All in Sustaining Costs metric, at the industry average of $836/oz, Metals Focus reckons that around 15% of the industry was loss making at the Q3 average gold price of $1,125/oz..."

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom