Mints (Canadian and US) Shutting Down?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

FPrice

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Just got a sales call from the dealer I started my PM buying with. He told me that because of high demand, the US and Canadian mints were shutting down production. He was trying to sell me some MS69 (I think, it was a lot of...information...crammed into a few sentences) 1999 SAEs.

I have not heard this anywhere else, but then I am unable to watch the market as well as some of you guys do.

So, is it true?

The govco mints do occasionally stop production when they have trouble sourcing blanks. Blank production is a bottleneck in the Minting process. See here for a past example:

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f3/us-mint-out-silver-coins-2017/

There were rumors a few months ago about possible production stoppages:

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f13/premiums-rising-physical-silver-gold-3505/

But I haven't seen any official announcements along those lines yet. Seems like the Mints are producing what they can and immediately selling out of inventory.

This is so weird. They should not be having so much trouble getting planchets. My LCS says there are big bars to be had, so I don't think it's a silver problem. If this is a recurring thing, why aren't the manufacturers getting more friggin presses to make more blanks? Doesn't that just make sound business sense? Something is mighty fishy here. Sounds to me like a manufactured shortage. Maybe .Gov doesn't want to be selling so much precious metals to the proletariat classes. The less metal we have, the less control we could regain when it all goes up in smoke.

thats a rational explanation ancona
any way to confirm it ?

If it could be confirmed it sends an even stronger message to the very people they are trying to restrict ......

This is so weird. They should not be having so much trouble getting planchets. My LCS says there are big bars to be had, so I don't think it's a silver problem. If this is a recurring thing, why aren't the manufacturers getting more friggin presses to make more blanks? Doesn't that just make sound business sense?

This is an article I wrote recently on the economics of making blanks and coins and why it isn't that easy to just ramp up production http://research.perthmint.com.au/20...ing-a-real-shortage-from-a-capacity-shortage/

I don't think there is a conspiracy to restrict sales, certainly not at the Perth Mint anyway.

Back
Top Bottom