Deal: Modern 90pct silver coins

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
coins.jpg

Many people believe the U.S. Mint stopped issuing 90% silver coins in 1964. While this is true for business strikes (i.e. coins make for circulation), the U.S. Mint continues to strike 90% silver for collectors. These coins are issued in proof sets at high premiums, but we were able to buy some at a premium close to melt. These modern coins are struck in 90% silver and have the exact same content as pre-1965 "junk" silver coins. If anything, these are in much better condition and are harder to find!

Highlights of these coins:
  • Legal tender coinage produced by the US Mint
  • Comprised of 90% silver, 10% copper; each dollar of face value contains about .72 troy ounces of silver.
  • These coins are NOT minted 1964 or before. They are modern proof silver issues from the U.S. Mint.

Apparently these are selling with a lower premium that pre-65 90% silver.

Buy them as proof sets on secondary market. Often under the current spot on the bay. They hover around $40/set with dealers selling multiple sets in lots under or very close to spot.
Current melt of silver plus the $1.06 of base metal coins makes 1999-2004 sets $39.33. Newer sets might have more dollar coins, or an extra nickel or quarter.
Since they are “collectible” they don’t track with spot always

I have seen these offered at coin shows at the same price as junk silver. They go pretty quickly, though.

Modern USA gold commerative medals that are 90% au + 10% cu usually had the lowest premiums until recently which are currently krugerrands, 100 coronas and sovereigns.

The US mint makes a lot of dogs if proofs are going for scrap. Don't get me started, but they really did a poor job of lobbying congress about the metal composition of new Morgans and Peace dollars. They should have been 90% instead of .999, but I understand other factors such as blanks and whatnot.

While I have some of the modern 90% ....it just isn't attractive to me as a silver product or as recognizable as the pre 64 circulated

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom