Modern Dimes

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

walkingnam

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
A few years ago I read a thread about modern dimes that has stuck with me for some reason.

There was a poster who started a thread saying that modern dimes (non- silver) sometimes called zincoins have a place in a collectors stacking inventory even though there is no precious metal in the coin. The reasoning went as follows:

The U.S. mint is in the current business of creating coins that will not last in collectible condition for a number of years. This will happen because the metal used in producing modern coins is soft and will start to wear out in a number of years. Therefore is modern collectors start salting away the modern stuff the value of your saved coins will increase because there will be no or very few collectible coins in circulation.

Take a look at circulation coins from 20 years ago, how many of those coins would you put into a collection. Not only that from time to time the mint will decrease the amount of coins that they put into circulation. Thus the mint will be creating low population coins but no key date.

That's a very long term play, but fairly low effort if you have the storage space and patience.

Take a look at circulation coins from 20 years ago, how many of those coins would you put into a collection.
I see quite a few bicentennial quarters that are still in good shape. I also still see good examples of regular quarters (prior to the State quarter program that started 24 years ago) fairly regularly.

Granted, those were likely holed up in someone's sock draw for awhile.

My change (all of it from pennies to dollar coins) is saved up for a bit and then converted to fiat and then to PMs. The last time I did this I had roughly $440 in change that I cashed in. Currently sitting on $75 or so and will wait until I have a couple hundred before repeating the process.

Lots, and LOTS of patience. Personally, I think there are a lot of better ways to spend your time.
What would a non-circulated, say, 1973 dime be worth, now?

Couple of bucks. It hasn't even kept pace with inflation - if you use real-world prices (not government fantasy figures). Five cents in 1971 is now a dollar. So...do the math.

I don't have the time. Fifty years from now, I'm compost - and long forgotten; and my stacks looted years earlier.

I actually think saving PAPER would lead to greater appreciation. I can find 1973 dimes all day. Where can you find a 1969 or 1973 FRN? They seem to have appreciated MUCH more.

Back in 1975 when I was in the 5th grade I paid 50 cents for a small school lunch consisting of a hotdog or a bowl of beef-a-rino.

Most kids carried only chslange in their pockets and if they had $2 they were rich.

Back in 1975 when I was in the 5th grade I paid 50 cents for a small school lunch consisting of a hotdog or a bowl of beef-a-rino.

Most kids carried only chslange in their pockets and if they had $2 they were rich.
And fifty cents then is about $8 now.

I'm not in a hurry to set aside good looking dimes. I just do 1 Philadelphia and 1 Denver roll a year. That done and I wait until the following year to continue. Been doing this since '09, don't know how long I'll keep this up. Stick them in a dime box and it really doesn't take up a lot of space. Not looking to getting rich quick just curious to see what the value will be in 20 years. Probably just $5 a roll then but we'll see. Never can tell. I don't think that I'll be losing anything.

Back
Top Bottom