Moringa trees

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Saw this on Yahoo News:
"Moringa has incredibly nutritious qualities—it has 3.5 times the calcium of milk and 4 times the vitamin C of oranges," says David Wolfe, author of Superfoods. All you have to do is open the bag and let the good nutrients roll.

What's in it

A recent analysis of the leaves found that moringa contains more vitamin A than carrots, more iron than spinach, and more potassium than bananas. It also packs as much protein as milk or eggs.

How to consume it

If you can get your hands on the fresh leaves (not a grocery-store staple yet, as they mostly grow in southern Florida and California), expect a lemony, peppery spinach taste. Add to a salad mix or sauté.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/the-next-superfood-is-here-and-it-s-called-moringa-225902026.html

A super salad green that grows on a tree? It grows in Florida you say?

... This versatile tree can be grown year round in any tropical climate, and successfully grown as an annual, in temperate zones.

Keep in mind that Moringa trees can grow over 20 feet tall, their first year. The average growth is about 15 feet, however, in optimum conditions, they can grow much taller.

Moringas do not like heavy, clay-like soil or vermiculite. They will grow in poor soil, sandy soil, and depleted soil, but they do not like their roots getting wet. Bear this in mind, and if necessary, purchase sand to add to the potting soil mixture, or use whatever soil is available in your area, and add coconut coir, peat moss, perlite, or sand to loosen it. This gives the roots of the Moringa tree room to go deep, and drain well. Moringa has a tap root, which means a single root that goes straight down like a carrot. It has small feeder roots but does not have branching roots. Plant where the tap root has lots of room to go down. If planting in a container, find the deepest one you can. Moringa can be grow as a solitary tree, in rows, or as a hedge.

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-a-Moringa-Tree

Hmm... Other than the fact that needs protection from freezes, this sounds like something I would definitely love to have growing in my back yard (even if it's in a large container).

Hmmmm......

Sounds perfect for my yard. I have never heard of this plant/tree, and I do in fact live in Florida...

Saw this on Yahoo News:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/the-next-superfood-is-here-and-it-s-called-moringa-225902026.html

A super salad green that grows on a tree? It grows in Florida you say?

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-a-Moringa-Tree

Hmm... Other than the fact that needs protection from freezes, this sounds like something I would definitely love to have growing in my back yard (even if it's in a large container).

This sounds like another great way to excercise your back particularly if you lock your knees while picking up the containers. Have you considered growing something smaller and lighter like peas? :shrug:

I like trees.

i-like-turtles.jpg

Hmmmm......

Sounds perfect for my yard. I have never heard of this plant/tree, and I do in fact live in Florida...

we lived in St. Petersburg, and Bing cooked it with chicken (she calls it Malangi). Staple in the Philippines. I had a malangi tree here in Texas, but it died.

Well, I've got a few seeds on order from Amazon. Figured it was worth $4 to experiment.

Well, I've got a few seeds on order from Amazon. Figured it was worth $4 to experiment.

Training the Olympic Athlete; by Kearney;

The lore of ancient Greece recalls an Olympic athlete who was determined to become the strongest person in the world. Every day Milon of Croton would pick up a calf, raise it above his head and carry it around a stable. As the calf grew, so did Milon¿s strength, until eventually he was able to lift the full-grown cow.

Maybe this could work with a container? :cheers:

lol. I don't plan on any Olympic training with this project - I have a dolly and I know how to use it. Besides, I don't plan on letting the tree get more than 6' tall. I'll keep trimming it back as necessary.

lol. I don't plan on any Olympic training with this project - I have a dolly and I know how to use it. Besides, I don't plan on letting the tree get more than 6' tall. I'll keep trimming it back as necessary.
...true, you'll be just grazing off the topmost leaves - problem solved :rotflmbo:

Training the Olympic Athlete; by Kearney;

The lore of ancient Greece recalls an Olympic athlete who was determined to become the strongest person in the world. Every day Milon of Croton would pick up a calf, raise it above his head and carry it around a stable. As the calf grew, so did Milon¿s strength, until eventually he was able to lift the full-grown cow.

Maybe this could work with a container? :cheers:

yeah, but then you have the issue with hurting your back/buttocks and such.... :)

something about our one digit winters and tropical plants just don't get along. When we moved here to texas, I built a nine by 33 foot greenhouse, double walled and extremely comfortable in the winter (vented the drier into it). But my jackfruit, soursop, and malangi trees all died anyway, over the years. I do have a baobab tree I keep in the living room in the winter; its six years old and the trunk is about eight inches in diameter (the tree is only about a foot high). They go dormant in the winter (water will actually kill them), so it's no problem to store).

Well I'm just a bit further south than you, but it makes a big difference. We usually get 1-2 "soft freezes" every winter - where it get just gets to freezing or a couple degrees below it for a night or two. We get a hard freeze once every few years. We've got several tropicals (plumerias and such) growing in pots and we just store them in our insulated garage as necessary during the winter. Seems to be working so far.

Well I'm just a bit further south than you, but it makes a big difference. We usually get 1-2 "soft freezes" every winter - where it get just gets to freezing or a couple degrees below it for a night or two. We get a hard freeze once every few years. We've got several tropicals (plumerias and such) growing in pots and we just store them in our insulated garage as necessary during the winter. Seems to be working so far.

last winter was very mild. (we heat with a woodstove). The two prior to that, we had four, 9 degree stretches each winter. Even my perennials that usually come back each year froze in the ground. I had about a thousand plumeria (my hobby) but I have been blessed in that in addition to my greenhouse the local middle school has a football field sized greenhouse and the teacher lets me keep a lot of my stuff there. Last year I got tired of it and got rid of most of my plants, but I still have about fifty plumeria. Now I'm hearing this winter is supposed to be brutal. More will be revealed!

OK, I thought this was funny, just got this email (directed at my wife):

Ate Bing dia na ang imong bahin sa malunggay seeds ..

Bings malungggay seeds (Moringa) just arrived from....

wait for it......

Florida :)

apparently her friend has a tree...

No, I wouldn't think so. You get too much of that fabled white powder stuff that is rumored to exist in northern latitudes.

* Update *

So, we received the seed packet from Amazon a few weeks ago and set out to germinate / sprout two of the seeds. A week or so ago, one of the seeds sprouted and it's been transplanted into a pot now. :)

heard a rumor you can't get into the vault without a masters in Moringa culture....:rotflmbo:

Bings friend gave her this for a Christmas present today at a filipina party (not the magazine, the seeds):

The seedling that sprouted grew about 6 inches tall before being eaten to a bare stick by something. We'll try again with a couple of seeds in the Spring and take care to protect it from hungry critters / bugs next time.

The seedling that sprouted grew about 6 inches tall before being eaten to a bare stick by something. We'll try again with a couple of seeds in the Spring and take care to protect it from hungry critters / bugs next time.

Bing said she is going to wait until spring to plant them.

another use for moringa trees: :)

snip:
The Moringa tree, can help rebuild and strengthen there immune system. The people who are drinking these chemicals should look into this and supply for the times to come, along with Spirulina Platensis.

oddly enough, today has become malunggay day.

from my wifes FB page:
Moringana

swing by Mercury Drug for this special deal:) good morning!

Bing ...
Write a comment...
Marge Tan hi Moringgana, i started taking this capsule last january, i dont know if isa sa effects ito ng moringgana, bago ako uminom nito may grado ang mata ko ng 375 sa right then 275 sa left. Tapos after a month sakit ng mta ko nagpatingin ako bumaba daw grad...See More

Liezl ... How. Much bili mo?
Yolanda Lugatiman Moringga is become a national veg. Na this is meraculous nice to use everyday nice also for gingue pang boast pa sa immune system natin. Dala lahat na sakit d2..if your interested pm me and we can arrange favor price speciall volume of purchase....be ...See More

Last edited by a moderator:
and Bing says you can wash your stinky ass with placenta soap.... :)

Back
Top Bottom