Mute Option?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TheRealZed

Retired Sailor
Reaction score
Does XenForo offer a mute option? I don't use ignore, I don't mind reading all posts in context and I like to see them, but I don't need some stuff promoted in my notifications or when I do a recent post search etc. I'd like to put some stuff on mute so I can curate my interests on the site. A bit like the option that twitter has.

Is this a thing?

Does anyone else like this idea?

You can adjust notification settings in your account preferences page:

Yeah, it's more the search results, latest posts etc... In the morning I get wall to wall one poster and while I don't want to ignore them I realised that really it would work better for me if I could filter out noise from a bunch of folks. I really don't want to place these people on ignore, but I don't want to spend the extra time it takes to get to the people that I value.

Twitter had a mute function, which essentially just stopped promoting the folks that you had little interest in. That got me wondering if Zenforo had similar. It would seem that it doesn't. Others have expressed this frustration to me, and they just use ignore, personally I don't think that is the healthiest option, I try and avoid that one.

Anywhoooo... if it ever pops up as a feature, I vote to implement it.

I just resorted to ignore, new posts still gives you all the posts which is just as annoying! You really want a list of the new posts by the people you are actually interested in!

I just remembered the follow function exists, maybe that is a way of coming at it from the other end. I'd like to include all and work backwards, but maybe that will suffice. TBH I've never used it, so let's see.

I'm not aware of any discussion forum platform that works the way you are wanting. The follow/subscribe system is probably your best bet for building a custom search feed.

You see what I mean, though?

These pages...

...would be so much more useful and personalised if they filtered on your poster preferences without going to the level of censorship that 'ignore' entails.

If someone didn't like TA they could just mute me or mute certain threads. That would leave us free to interact on the thread if we coincided on something, unlike ignore, which is more of a sledgehammer censorship approach which leaves no room for growth or reconciliation in time.

I dunno... maybe a suggestion if they have a XenForo user forum that the developers read.

Maybe It's just too nuanced an idea.... LOL.

Anyway, no biggy.

I customized the menu and feed page a little bit. Should be more intuitive now as to what it is.

For anyone reading this that still isn't sure what we're talking about, you can click a link to "Follow" any member(s) of the forum. There is now a "Following" link in the menu which will display a list of recent activity from all members that you have chosen to follow.

Last edited:
Just a note, the following list seems to link to the beginning of the thread. If it is an option, linking to the post would be good.

Back
Top Bottom