my car recalled- how did they find me

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I am the 2nd owner of a 2006 pontiac vibe. I bought the car in IL and I live in PA.

How did they find me?

It is passenger airbag.

Because they keep a record of who is the user / keeper of all registered vehicles.
When you report a crime and have a registration number it can be traced.

Because it is a safety issue, the records can be accessed and the current keeper of the vehicle can be identified and notified.

Yeah, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is over 10 years old and am at least the 3rd owner and I kept getting calls on it. Unless you never register the vehicle after you buy it, they know you have it. If you don't want them to know you have the vehicle you'd basically have to buy from a private owner, then not register it (which means you better not get caught driving it on public roads) never get insurance on it, and to be safe pay in cash. So unless you have a large piece of property and you buy a vehicle to be used exclusively on that private property and choose not to register it, they will know you have it.

Last edited:
It isnt necessarily a bad thing.

It isnt my intention to hide under a rock.

Under chose your battles carefully- I wont fight the register my car. In PA the license plate costs $10 a year for me. (disabled rate)

I dont really want to be bothered by this recall. I will tho make some calls about it.

If license plates cost $300 a year and insurance was outrgeous- it would be a different story. My insurance runs $28 a month. It is high because i had an accident. In 2 years it will drop back to $22 a month.

Here it depends on the vehicle/year, and ours are cheaper than a lot of states. Our mini-van is like $85/yr and the Jeep is like $95, but if it was newer than the van, then it would be a lot more. I guess they figure if you can afford a newer vehicle, you can afford to pay more in registration. Right now for both our vehicles with just me and the wife on the policy isn't too bad, but when we add our son in a month or two, it's going to go nutz!

When a gar is registered/sold/transferred, it goes in a state database that can be accessed by manufacturers for this expressed purpose. I want for it to be that way. If they have the need to find me and tell me that some kniffler pin is faulty and can shear off at 88 mph and kill my family in a high speed crash, then so be it. This would be one of those times where I am willing to allow a little bit of latitude to "the man" when it comes to my personal safety. Sometimes even the most hard core among us can see a rational and real need for the aggregation of information for a real and qualified potential danger.

When a gar is registered/sold/transferred, it goes in a state database that can be accessed by manufacturers for this expressed purpose. I want for it to be that way. If they have the need to find me and tell me that some kniffler pin is faulty and can shear off at 88 mph and kill my family in a high speed crash, then so be it. This would be one of those times where I am willing to allow a little bit of latitude to "the man" when it comes to my personal safety. Sometimes even the most hard core among us can see a rational and real need for the aggregation of information for a real and qualified potential danger.

Something like that just happened here with vehicle full of kids. The vehicle was one of those with an airbag problem and on recall. The vehicle rolled over, they weren't sure why, anyway a couple got killed and a couple more seriously hurt. Not one of the airbags (I think they said it had a total of 7) deployed. A couple weeks or so after the accident they find out there is a problem with the steering that can cause a failure leading to loss of steering. To top it all off now, the first guy to stop at the accident who was an off duty paramedic stole money from their wallets.

Back
Top Bottom