My case for the bottom in gold

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JJSF

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Since Feb 29th the majority of gold's big downlegs were caused by the selling-at-market-price of anywhere from 2500-15000 gold futures (GC #F) with no regard for price obtained and mostly timed so that the sales are closed to key support areas. Once these key support areas are breached as a result of this selling the algorithmic and real selling steps in and you then have a bonafide sell-off in gold. This has been done almost daily since the end of february but increasing in voracity beginning March 14th though current.

What i want to point out here is the timing, how it differs from all the other methods used before in one simple element and the voracity and depth in comparison to past similar periods.

Gold since August of 1994 has maintained a similar intraday pattern average with only short periods of deviation. Down during london hours and up during comex-asian hours.. The selling pressure in london is enough to keep gold from gong ballistic on a yearly basis and is a tried and true method that works. But london hours are too illiquid to unload 10k contracts at-market without catching some notice. Batches of 1500-2500 usually do the trick to maintain the london pressure and we see these sales during good times and bad times on an almost daily basis like clockwork. But when gold must be brought down in a bigger way we see the big comex session interventions. For instance 10000 at-market in tranches of 500 or so over the course of 1-2 mins can take $30 off price and if it's done above key support then you could take off another $30 depending on that day's market conditions and the importance of the particular support that was breached.
We've all seen this happen time and time again over the years.. But usually we see things return to the normal london selling pressure and comex/asian uptrend soon after. Since February 2012 this has not been the case. In this time we have a seen a relentless beat-down with no london participation at all. This is a 100% comex hours beat down using a method almost daily that has historically been reserved for one-off attacks (generally around options/futures expirations).

We have seen the most drawn out change in methodology my records show.

Feb 2012 Comex- Next day London AM Fix -.0864%
March 2012 Comex-Next day London AM Fix -1.913%
April 2012 Comex-Next day London AM Fix -2.447%
May 2012 Comex-Next day London AM Fix -7.124%

Historical average for comex-next day london fix is 5.5%

Here's london hours:

Feb 2012 AM-PM Fix -1.003
March 2012 AM-PM Fix -1.244
April 2012 AM-PM Fix +1.697
May 2012 AM-PM Fix +1.912

Historical average for london am-pm fix is -2.2%

This drastic a change in methodology says to me that something big is coming in the way of global monetary intervention to such magnitude that gold had to be brought down hard and fast when it reached that $1800 mark or the next round of QE (or whatever they may call it) would send price not to $2100 but to a higher and rather unmanageable number.

This next round will be a globally coordinated effort involving the PBOC, ECB, FED and all else who wish to see their currency depreciate with the best of them.

When?

If not at the June meeting the next chance would be fairly close to US election ramp up. If the Fed waits then it risks the chance of being seen as a "non political" entity and they have been very keen to maintain the opposite perception as of late.

Bernanke has everything he needs in the way of rising unemployment, inflation dropping, oil down by over -10%, European deterioration/contagion and of course stock market deterioration. Here we go..

My money is on June's meeting or even before as the meeting itself would remove the element of surprise and allow too many retail investors to score.

The past two days saw the DXY detach from it's normal reverse correlation with gold. DXY up/Gold up..all of a sudden....Hmmm..

Seems to me gold is sniffing this all out..

Gold was brought down in such a huge way to make room for the mother of all liquidity programs.

Last edited:
Interesting position JJSF, well thought out and well defended. Although I agree with you in principal and for the most part in fact, I think we all have to conclude that the reason behind this "controlled" movement in gold and indeed in silver, is to protect the public perception of fiat as a true store of value. The fiat dollar/euro/ruppe......whatever.....requires a level of faith to circulate and be accepted as de facto "money" in a financial system. As the world's financial shenanigans start to see the light of day, and the peoples of the world begin to turn to an actual existential store of value [such as gold and silver] the powers that be must scramble to damage the idea that gold and silver will keep you safe from the stealth confiscation that is inflation. Without inflation, slow and steady, a central bank cannot work as it has of late. They need to continue to print money so that they may continue to charge our governments for the privilege of their [central bank] services.

It is the position of many, and certainly many of us here on PMBug and similar sites, that the 'jig is up' and that it is but a matter of time before the fiat pyramid catches fire around the globe and the mad rush in to metals really begins in earnest.

BTW, thank you for this contribution to what needs to be a much more wide spread recognition of the manipulation of metals by the Brotherhood of Darkness. and, welcome to PMBug.

Yeah JJSF thats a reasonable train of thought.

Would it still stack up if there really was tonnes more gold than is officially recognised ?

I like to float this alongside what we have been told is in existence but now that Jim Willie has, sort of, confirmed what Fulford has long claimed, the idea of there being much more gold and how it might be used, has me pondering.

Luckily its just me that does this (-:

Nice post JJSF. I'm expecting QE3 to come before November. Not sure if they will pull the trigger next month though. SA's updates on lease rates also bears watching as rising rates / backwardation appears to be indicating less liquidity/inventory in the physical market(s).

Nice post JJSF. I'm expecting QE3 to come before November. Not sure if they will pull the trigger next month though. SA's updates on lease rates also bears watching as rising rates / backwardation appears to be indicating less liquidity/inventory in the physical market(s).

They could never announce a program around the election. The fed goes out of it's way to seem apolitical and more so as of late. Announcing a huge liquidity program needs to come early for this reason. But another reason is that the effects of the program need to have time to leak into the system so economic numbers on MSM show improvement.
Aside from the fact that the deterioration in LEI's, and news out of europe will have progressed to a unsustainable level by november..resulting in Obama and politicians in general both in the US and Europe having difficulty with reelection.
And to go further... Now there is so much buildup to some form of coordinated CB intervention that if it doesn't actually come then markets will experience a crash of generational proportions..and that will lead to an emergency intervention anyway..
It has to come on the 19th or in case of greek polls showing that the june 17th election will go to the anti austerity crew then it will come before the greek election. From today's action in gold it appears the cartel isn't done bringing it down. Hopefully we see $1505 and hope most of us are smart enough to buy with both hands.

Last edited:
The next easing program wont be called QE i'm sure... But it will be QE...

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

And sh*t would smell the same too.

Back
Top Bottom