Need Help identifying silver nuggets please

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brewman12oz

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hello All!

I found some old lab equipment left from my grand dad, and found small jars with various metals and powders in them. I found one that I was almost sure was silver, and would like your help identifying, and if it is .999 grade or not. It weighed in at 64 grams. thanks!

rzKCmOS.jpg

qlKTOlc.jpg

I don't think anyone is going to be able to tell you from a photograph. I would suggest taking it to a local coin dealer or jewelry shop to have it tested/appraised.

You can buy a silver test kit on ebay for $10. Photographs wont do it.

You can fairly easily find out if there's silver in there by a variety of means - mostly chemical or melt-point - but it gets really hard to determine the "fineness" and that'll cost you more than the value of it if all you have are a couple ounces. Unless it's "white gold" or something...even then, a couple ounces just won't pay for the (real, quality you can believe in) tests. You might be best off trading it for something known to be a given purity at a coin or bullion dealer, or taking "cash for gold" under spot just to get value out of it you can then buy a sure real-thing with.
Not that I'd trust those guys - even if what you have is "white gold" they're sure to pay for it as "polluted silver".

Schneider labs will test by atomic absorption using flame spectroscopy for about forty five bucks. You can go on-line, fill out a chain of custody and simply mail it in.

BTW, you only need to send a couple of grams.

Last edited:
No-one can suggest by a picture i would suggest to go through a local dealer or buy a silver check toolkit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom