Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Shelby-villian

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a newly converted precious metal investor and found this site through ronpaulforums.com. Thank you everyone for your knowledge and I learned a lot even in my first half hour on this site.

I made my first PM purchase last week. I bought 120 oz. of US American Eagles for $37.50/oz, no tax, at a local coin shop.

This week I plan to buy approx. $20K of American Gold Eagles locally. I prefer to deal in local transaction since it has the smallest paper trail which makes me feel more secure. Luckily, the current Euro crisis is driving down gold prices which makes it an opportune time to invest in my first order of gold.

The question I want to ask is there normally a volume discount for AGEagles at around $20K? I have about $40K to spend on gold this month. Should I try to buy it in $10K sums where I try to follow dips? Or should I try to get a biggest dealer discount and buy $40K at once?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Thank you I just read the thread. It sounds like either of my strategies is valid which means I'm not making any rookie mistakes. :)

Welcome Shelby!

You are off to great start, coming in here with a bang!

And with PMs going off the cliff today, your timing looks good. Sure, they could go down after you buy (and 80% prices DO go down when I buy!, short term). But, the value of gold and silver is EXCELLENT at these levels.

Buy and hold. You have just made the decision to get the single best diversification possible.

Thank you for your welcomes. I did end up getting 10oz of Gold Eagles today at well under 1700 which might end up being one of the last time I might get a chance to, so I consider myself fortunate.

While at the coin shop, I couldn't resist also getting 100oz of Silver Eagles as I find it such a bargain. How does such a practical and beautiful metal go for so much less then gold? Maybe I'm a silverbug? :)

Welcome Shelby-V

I am one of those silver bugs who does not like to tell what/how much/where about any of my PM's. As far as the world is concerned, my stack went down in a tragic boating accident.

Hi ancona, I definitely follow your advice when I talk to people. But on the internet, being anonymous, wouldnt giving information lead to getting the best advice in return? I am new at this so I appreciate any or all advice from you guys. Regards.

Welcome shelby and congrats on getting into the precious metals market. I too like the local coin shop purchases over online dealers. Although as we have discussed in a couple threads there are perks to online dealers as well. From what it seems you are on the right track. Don't hesitate to ask any questions here, people are more then happy to share thier opinions with you or point you in the right direction to make an informed desicion. I would personally recommend spacing out your purchases over a period of time, just incase of a dip, it gives you chance to average in lower.

Welcome! I second W&Y's advice...I've been waiting for a chance to get more myself, but as an also-trader, well, it's best not to catch a falling knife. While not pretending to be able to predict each coming move in order, I think I can safely say we're going to see some real whipsaw action here for a little bit. If you spend all your dry powder on the first dip, you might not be able to get as much on the next.

To me, the best reason to get physical, is not to profit as the paper prices (which it currently tracks) change, but to have it when there ARE no paper prices anymore...

Welcome aboard, Shelby!

It sounds like you are off to a great start, and I agree that silver is very attractive both in appearance and investment (I like gold too!).

Hello everyone,

I am a newly converted precious metal investor and found this site through ronpaulforums.com. Thank you everyone for your knowledge and I learned a lot even in my first half hour on this site.

I made my first PM purchase last week. I bought 120 oz. of US American Eagles for $37.50/oz, no tax, at a local coin shop.

This week I plan to buy approx. $20K of American Gold Eagles locally. I prefer to deal in local transaction since it has the smallest paper trail which makes me feel more secure. Luckily, the current Euro crisis is driving down gold prices which makes it an opportune time to invest in my first order of gold.

The question I want to ask is there normally a volume discount for AGEagles at around $20K? I have about $40K to spend on gold this month. Should I try to buy it in $10K sums where I try to follow dips? Or should I try to get a biggest dealer discount and buy $40K at once?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

The advantage to buying lots at once is the volume discount. Tulving is a well known dealer who only deals in volume purchases, at low premiums. But you cannot do cash transactions with an online dealer like this.

However, smaller purchases allow you to do dollar cost averaging, and thus limiting your risk of buying "at the wrong time".

In addition, making smaller purchases allow you do cash transactions.

Back
Top Bottom