Only 8th Jan and nearly 4 million Silver Eagles sold!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Unbeatable

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
I just saw the link to this on Zerohedge.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/american_eagles/?action=sales&year=2013

This already makes it the 4th highest month ever!

They do note that January is usually a big month but still pretty impressive.

They (ZH) also noted that Apmex has no Silver Eagles dated post 2002 and the few 2000/2001 they have are $5-$6 over spot, I don't know what the average price over spot is though.

Last edited:
I went and bought gold today. While I was about to leave another guy was counting his money to pay for his 25 ROLLS of Silver Eagles (500 oz), I think that is the first time I have seen one person buy that much at once ever in a coin shop.

I went to eBay to find out something else. I got a $1.00 1935H Silver Certificate (stained and ratty, no tears, but...) back in change from a gun range which "kindly allowed me" to buy TWO whole boxes of AK ammo.

"Wow", I thought! A Silver Certificate, even if in fairly bad condition.

Too bad it only looks like it is worth $1.50 or so...

The biggest bullion dealer in the UK has been sold out of all silver bars in
the 250g + range for a week now and it seems they're not able to restock for at least 2-3 weeks!

http://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-bars/

Looks like some of the smaller less popular dealers still have 'old' inventory but it certainly looks like the big ones who move volume are unable to restock with new inventory over here at the moment.

...I was reading something (could not remember the link now), that most likely, some (rather significant) amount of December 2012 sales was pushed & accounted for in Jan, 2013 (reasons unknown, but easy to speculate - see below), and the reasoning was for that case was, that on the first day of trading in Jan, there was already over 1 Million GE accounted for as "sold" - extremely unlikely, if not physically impossible (where that 1million+ Eagles was coming from, on the very first day of trade/work???? Does mint now create Eagles, like Fed creates dollars, so they can supply as many as they wish, by the flick of the mouse? I do not think so).

One of possible reasons - despite huge drop in gold price (or maybe it was THANKS to it, lol), December 2012 was one of the strongest months evah in GE sales. If anyone is interested in managing the expectations/sentiment, that is likely, they would NOT want the recognition of the fact, that the month of the very significant PRICE DROP in gold, was also THE best month of GE sales evah. Therefore, massaging the numbers, by pushing some of the sales accounting one month ahead, would do the job.

But maybe there are other reasons of doing this. Certainly it is extremely unlikely, that these numbers are not massaged in one way or another.

I don't think these numbers are intended to be predictive. They are just the expectations dealers have for future sales.

I believe the numbers were pushed in to January. December sales were way too light to suit me. Although there could be a myriad of reasons for this, I really don't care since the only true metric for me is YOY and EOY numbers.

I believe the numbers were pushed in to January. December sales were way too light to suit me. Although there could be a myriad of reasons for this, I really don't care since the only true metric for me is YOY and EOY numbers.

The treasury suspended sales in December IIRC. So yeah, definitely had that issue.

Yes some December in there probably and as we say over here 'one swallow doesn't make a summer.'

The site I mentioned, biggest bullion seller in UK is now not only sold out of all silver bars 250g and up but also they now have no 1 ounce silver coins at all in stock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom