Open interest (futures & options) watch for gold silver

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I respect your opinion, but let me provide you the link to the gold op/ex thread: http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f2/options-expiry-manipulation-gold-price-one-chart-229/
As you can see there, op/ex manipulations are usually finished before the day of the expiry. Historically, price management has been undertaken during the 5 prior trading days. I don't think that it's gonna be different this time. High Volatility at op/ex days is dangerous because it might trigger panic liquidations or short squeezes which both lead to higher costs of price manipulations. Additionally, op/ex days usually have high trading volumes, requiring a larger number of contracts to move prices. Mild volatility is therefore the cheapest way to achieve pre-managed prices at op/ex.

We could very well see a stock market plunge on Monday. The UK just got downgraded by Moody's. That has strenghtened the dollar afterhours. I don't think that it's going to rock markets like the US downgrade did, though.

Good calls mate ! The metals held up well :wave:

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldn..._Gold_Will_Now_Be_Released_To_The_Upside.html

The new COT as of Tuesday is out. Gold was above 1600 and silver above 29 back then. The selloff since Wednesday has probably flushed out some more longs.

First gold: Speculators covered some shorts and increased their net long positions by a whopping 20%. They're still at very low net long levels, though. Commercials have increased their net short position a bit, but are still at historical lows. Open interest finally fell by 2.4%. Overall, the data for gold hasn't really changed much. It's still a fantastic setup for a rally.

Now silver: Speculators have really been flushed out of the market, rducing their net long position by 33%. We're now close to a speculator positioning that has historically indicated a bottom, see here eg last Summer: http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f13/open-interest-futures-options-watch-gold-silver-679/#post9099 . A little more liquidation would be required to create the perfect setup. It may already have happened this week from Wednesday to today. Addtionally, sit seems like there's heavy shorting going on in the over the counter market (otc) as indicated by the massive increase in the net long position of the swap dealers. That is a contrary bullish sign. Open interest also finally fell by 6.7%. It's still pretty high, though.

The new data is out as of last Tuesday. As expected positioning in both gold and silver has gotten even more contrary bullish:

Gold: The commercials of reduced their net short positions a bit, though swap dealers (as part of the commercials) are more short than they were a week ago. Probably their counterparities in the otc market began to cover shorts.
Speculators once again reduced their net long positions by 20% and are now at levels not seen since the 2008 crash. Open interest stayed flat.

Silver: Mild commercial short covering indicates that the hedgers are still reluctant to close too many shorts. There still some way to go before we're at commercial net short positions which are similar to previous bottoms. Speculators, however, have finally reached the bottom zone in their net long positioning reducing their net long position by 40%, although there might be additional room for a lower net long position. Open interest stayed relatively flat, too.

Summary: Paper positioning is as contrary bullish as it can get. Once we break above 1600 / 30, the race to cover shorts should create serious fireworks.

I love a good fireworks show.

The new COT is out. I'm keeping it brief today:

Gold: While producers and merchants lowered their net short position again, swap dealers advanced heavily to the short side. This probably reflects some fresh longs by their counterparties in the otc markets (good sign). Speculators cautiously increased their net long position. Nothing special though. Open interest grew a bit.

Silver:
The commercials are standing at an unchanged position that still has some space to the downside. Silver's underperformance compared to gold this week is consistent with this observation. Speculators reduced their net long position once again while prices stayed flat. That's a good sign. Open interest was flat.

Summary
: The outlook hasn't changed and prices haven't either. We have massive short covering rally fuel. I guess we need to break out above 1600 for gold and then drag silver with it in order to cause massive short covering. 1600 has been tested three times this week and encountered selling each time. I'm confident that it could be different next week.

The trend in paper positioning for gold has turned together with prices.
Commercials increased their net short position, especially the Swap dealers.
Speculators furiously covered shorts, but there's much more work to do. Open interest fell, an indication for the closure of hedges by long term longs.

The story for silver is different: Not only didn't prices rise, Commercials reduced their net short position a bit. The producers/merchants still aren't willing to cover shorts. That's not a good sign. Speculators cut their net long positions again, probably by adding shorts without selling off longs, ie it's just hedging. The rising open interest confirms that assumption.

Summary: The diverging moves between gold (up) and silver (flat) are reflected in the changes in paper positioning. As always, the data is as of last Tuesday. Silver positioning of the producers/merchants still suggests that more pain might be ahead, maybe a spike into the 26 area.

Well 26 has amazing support so if you got the dry powder.

I'm seriously hoping the 28's hold and shake out the shorts lol!

-Q

New COT data as of March 26th: Quite a lot of action.

Gold: Commercials reduced their net short position by 5%. They're still at ver low levels, ie they don't feel like hedging. Speculative longs were flushed out once again. There's still massive short covering rally fuel under this market. Open interest is down a lot. That's a nice sign, too.

Silver: Producers / Merchant are once again refusing to reduce shorts significantly. They seem to be betting on a spike low below 28. Speculators are not giving up, but are reducing their net long position to just 1075 contracts which is ultra low. The stable open interest suggests that speculative longs were not liquidated, but rather hedged with corresponding shorts. That means rally fuel once we turn arround.
Chart: Speculative net long silver position at historically low levels, ie contrary bullish

The last two weeks, I've been warning of a spike low to 26 risk in silver and this week we got it .

I've also been talking about the reluctance of commercials to cover shorts in silver. It finally started this week. The data below is as of Tuesday, before the final push down on Wednesday below 27 and today's spike higher on the NFP disappointment. My guess is that commercial short covering in silver has gone on and resistance from them is now less. There still might be some more volatile sidewards trading between 26 and 28 required to cover additional commercial shorts before we can really turn arround.

First Gold: Commercials reduced their net short postion by about 10% while speculators reduced their net long postion by 20%. The setup for a short covering rally is getting better and better. When (not: if) it gets going, the speed of the upmove is gonna be breathtaking. Paper postioning suggests that it is going to more violent than even last summer which was quite a quick move after we finally broke out.

Silver: As I said above, producer/merchants as part of the commercials have finally started to reduce their net short postion by 15%. That's a good start, but we need more. We may have already gotten it after Tuesday. Especially the aggressive dip buying at 26.8 looked like short covering to me. Even more important is the fact that speculators are now net SHORT silver. This a very rare event. It didn't even occur during the 2008 panic. Once silver turns arround, the fireworks are gonna be epic Add on to that (as I already said). The final spike into the 26 area is not part of the data. Speculators have propably even expanded their short postioning after Tuesday.

Here's Gene Arensberg's (GotGoldReport) take with additional charts:
http://www.gotgoldreport.com/2013/04/gold-and-silver-disaggregated-cot-report-dcot-for-april-5.html

So the sale is gonna end soon?

Epic as always SA. Thank you.

I look forward to Harvey Organ on Saturdays when I can see the carnage.

So the sale is gonna end soon?

TFmetals' take:
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/blog/4623/saturday-gold

The rally might have begun on Friday, maybe we're gonna trade sidewards for a few weeks. I don't know. But when pms get going, the rally is gonna be ultra violent due to the record high speculative short positions. I'm also totally convinced that the important support levels at 1526/26.0 are going to hold. BTFD!

-----

For the paper traders here at pmbug:
If you wanna make a hedged bet on the massive rally ahead, you can open a spread trade with a long bias. Buy July calls and July puts with a 2:1 call/put ratio, as described here:
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f3/how-trade-silver-volatility-using-options-343/#post2409

Last edited:
Take a look at Harvey Organs site. It looks like someone is holding on no matter what. Silver shorts are nearly equal to long positions, something I think I've never seen. I have a feeling like the market is being set up, but for what, I don't know. If this is the doing of a government agency, they certainly are keeping deep under cover. If this is private hands, then I would suspect one of the deep pockets crowd who publicly derides the barbarous relic gold and his little whore stepsister silver.

Either way, I believe we'll see in the next week or so.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-08/80-chance-40-silver-short-squeeze

I really need to stack some more this week.

Well, what a week. There's basicly no need to talk about the COT, because it is as of Friday and the game has completely changed as of today. The data below is completely useless. We have to wait until next Friday to know the impact of today's horror session:

Today's COT report is out:

To put it simply: That's not the COT we were looking for.

1. The herd, ie speculators, was right :flail: . They were record net short in both gold and silver last week and they made a fortune due to the crash. Then they decided to cover shorts at the bottom on Tuesday. Now they're net long at decent levels, not ultra long, but also not at such low levels that would cause a massive short squeeze once we get going to the upside. On the brighter side, it means that speculators are willing to bet on rising prices. However, should prices drop, the liquidation effect from speculators is gonna be more drastical. Overall, a riskier position than we would wish for.

2. The commercial hedgers, especially producers and merchants, didn't change their positioning a lot. They covered a bit in gold and raised their net short position in silver. They were obviously not convinced that the bottom is in on Tuesday. This reporting period covers the data until Tuesday when the bottom was put in overnight in Asia. Maybe commercials covered some shorts since then. If our analysis about the production costs of gold/silver is correct, then producers should be in the mood to cover once they think the bottom is in. Merchants should also have the intention to cover given the very credible reports about massive physical demand.

3. Next week's COT report will give us more data. We need to see commercial short covering. If they'd start building a short position, we'd be in trouble.

Trader Dan's take:
http://traderdannorcini.blogspot.com/2013/04/gold-commitment-of-traders-explains.html

I have to keep it brief today:

This week's COT is definitely looking better than last week's:

Gold: Commercials covered shorts aggressively into a rising market. It seems they don't think that there is a big chance for another crash. And why should they, they know gold trades close to production cost. Speculators actually reduced their net long postions. They're not convinced to cover shorts yet. We're climbing a wall of fear

Silver: The Picture is a Little different, because silver fell from Tuesday to Tuesday. Commercials didn't cover shorts that much. Speculators also didn't change positions to the extent they did in gold. Silver is still looking a little heavy.

Keep in mind: The data is as of Tuesday with gold at 1412 and silver below 23. Things might have changed quite a bit in the meantime.

http://bullmarketthinking.com/us-ba...hest-rate-on-record-short-positions-collapse/

Scorn if it pleases you, but know this. Gold is soon to become the friend of the market manipulators, and then the enemy of the dollar. ...

http://www.jsmineset.com/2013/06/11/outright-war-called-finance/

Brief look at the recent COT as of last Tuesday:

Commercial hedging in gold is at very low levels, ie they're convinced that downside potential is very limited. Silver commercials are still reluctant to cover massively. Speculators in both metals are at low levels, but not at record lows.

SA.. This is the lowest short exposure the commercials have had since the bull market began!

BIG moves in the gold COT this week, while silver positioning barely changed :flail:

The gold producers and merchants seem to be totally confident that there is basicly no downside potential.
They`re at just 4414 contracts net short and covered close to 10000 contracts in one week. This is certainly an all-time low short position by the producers and merchants.
Overall open interest (number of outstanding contracts) shrunk by 10% in one week, that`s a BIG move.

Just to put this into perspective, here is the positioning as of last Christmas (12-24-2012), seven months ago:

Positioning has drastically changed, but open interest stayed approximately the same.

This is a rather good but long and detailed read. See link for charts and data. The conclusion:

August 11, 2013
COT –Other Reportables get the Willies, Dump 54% of Gold Shorts
http://treo.typepad.com/files/20130811-ggr-cot-notes.pdf

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…