Peak Gold (Production)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Silver_Bug

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
A cliche of market wisdom is that the words "it's different this time" are almost always dead wrong - partly because "it" is in some sense, a description of human-nature driven behavior, which really doesn't change quickly, if at all. The veneer of civilization is pretty thin, despite the vanity otherwise. It seems mainly to have dis-empowered us - we're afraid of spiders, nature in general, impoliteness, anything that requires manual work or getting "dirty", and a bunch of other stuff we used to handle fine - it's not evolution toward empowerment to say the very least.

However, as Chris Martensen points out, there really is something different this time.
It's the fact that there is basically no new frontier, no unexplored land, to go find new resources to pillage from....and we've of course ditched space...so for the foreseeable future, we will be dealing with poorer and poorer grades of ore, oil finds, and pretty much everything else - we are building apt buildings on land we might need to farm later on top of the rest.

I would hazard a guess and say that it is possible that since the inception of the myriad regulations seemingly designed to purposefully stymie any new mining operations in the U.S., and very specifically Alaska, that we have more minerals in the ground than the government wants us to know about.

The U.S. Geological Survey (www.usgs.gov) estimates 4 trillion dollars of rare earth elements in the country of Afghanistan. If we're still finding it elsewhere, then it is quite possible that the games that the U.S. plays with its preservation methods of natural resources is merely a stance that we're going to try and hold all the chips in the end.

8 years ago, an old family with centuries of gold trading behind them exited the gold trading market http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3628971.stm http://news.goldseek.com/GoldLetter/1082727895.php http://onlypill.tripod.com/allaboutgold/id29.html

this may have been caused by the apparent 2001 gold production peak and the fact that mines stopped hedging, thus reducing the said families income from gold trading, ergo they went for greener pastures elsewhere.

at that time gold was around 430 dolars/oz, now its over 1000 dollars/oz more.

KMS, I myself practice a similar strategy. When firewood is cheap - I buy it rather than take it off my woodlot - things go bad, I've still got the lot. And I've built up good friendships with guys who are "good in the woods".

I import organic waste, like horse poop, from the neighbors. I wind up with fertility "money in the bank" and help them solve what they think is a nasty problem! I've even gotten paid to haul it off! Not all black gold is a hydrocarbon fluid.

Using up everyone else's while keeping your own intact might be selfish, but it's not necessarily unwise. I would mainly be surprised that anyone in government, with the power to make it matter, would be that smart.

Back
Top Bottom