Perth Mint sales of gold and silver coins

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
During the month of August 2013, gold bullion sales at the Perth Mint of Australia declined to the lowest monthly level of the year. Silver bullion sales remained brisk, far surpassing the level of the year ago period.

More: http://news.coinupdate.com/perth-mint-gold-bullion-sales-decline-2149/

I found that interesting considering that Australian Kangeroos were the only 1 ozt gold coins my LCS was able to carry in stock at one point a while back.

Perth Mint Silver Sales Top One Million Ounces For the Six Month In A Row.

February Perth Mint silver sales of 1,049,062 ounces were up 168% year over year.

Silver Kangaroo bullion coin continues to drive massive silver sales.
The U.S. Mint sold 4,782,000 one ounce American Silver Eagle coins and 67,500 one ounce American Gold Eagle coins in February 2016 for a silver to gold sales ratio of 70.84 to 1.

The Perth Mint sold 1,049,062 ounces of silver and 37,063 ounces of gold in October 2015 for a silver to gold sales ratio of 28.3 to 1.

https://smaulgld.com/perth-mint-sales-february-2016/

Good question. If the Perth Mint has those answers, they didn't disclose it in the reports I've seen. If the Perth Mint operates like the US Mint, they are selling most of their product to authorized dealers and not directly to the public. It's likely they don't know.

Yeah, bug, I didn't think they would have those kind of statistics, just kind of wondering what everybody else was seeing/hearing & thought it might be. I supposed they might know at least if there were several new dealers popping up, especially in a location/area that previously didn't have one & how much previous dealers had increased their orders. I'm still amazed on some sites how much outright hostility there is to PM's & the people who stack. I guess haters gonna hate? I saw you one one of those posts was on survivalistboards.com Bug, I even mentioned this site a few posts above yours. I think if you visit that site from time to time you'll know that while many are in the know about PM's there are many who are fairly apathetic, & more than a fair few who are outright hostile against PM's & those who stack them. See, I can be a victim too! Where's my free stuff from the gubment?!?! :paperbag:

I am a member of one of those survival forums and anytime someone brings up gold and silver you get the standard reply, "My 20 year old can of pork-n-beans will be worth more than your gold bar when the shtf.''

Yeah, those folks can't think past TEOTWAWKI. They pride themselves on preparing for the future, but they are betting on the worst case scenario without much consideration for the potential of civilization to survive the zombie apocalypse.

Yeah, there's a bunch of "you can't eat silver or gold, LOL" types in there. They also seem to be of the opinion that the whole planet is going to devlolve into some "Mad Max" dystopian future or a zombie apocalypse. Like I always tell people, start prepping for what has happened in your area and will happen again, like hurricanes, flooding, blizzards, earthquakes, etc. Once you have enough stocked up to last through that with 0 help from outside, say 3 days all the way to 3 months for something like a hurricane katrina, then move onto adding more supplies.. Unless you are rich don't try to get that all in one chunk, but slowly build up to that. Then after that start building up for the less likely or rarer things, but still things that have happened & could possibly happen again, like the great depression, civil war, pandemic, extended droughts or other things that cause food supplies to dwindle & become scarce and/or expensive, etc. If you get built up to last through those, then by all means feel free to prep for a Hollywood style dystopia. Also many seem to think you can either buy food & ammo OR PM's not both! Many say PM's haven't been used as currency for many decades & they refuse to accept any examples of how it is still being used as currency to this day & instances in the recent past where people are using it for all kinds of things from buying food or services to bribing their way across a border. I'm from N.D. & most people here are preppers without considering themselves preppers & we occasionally use those preps when there is a blizzard bad enough to be snowed in for various lengths of time with varying other problems like if you lose power it can get very dangerous if you aren't prepared to be stuck in your house in the winter when it might get -40 even before any wind chill is factored in. Again, many don't want to hear that they don't consider that as the SHTF & only their pet scenario of ruling the waste land is a valid thing to be prepping for. I myself hope I never need my PM's or my bullets & beans to eek out a living in the post apocalyptic world, but I like to think even if something like that happened, I'd be better prepared than most. I'll just keep stacking PM's AND the bullets & beans while hoping for the best.

Last edited:
The Perth Mint said on Monday its gold products sales in March surged about 68 percent from the previous month, touching the highest level since November last year.

Sales of gold coins and minted bars in March rose to 32,757 ounces from 19,524 ounces in February, the mint said in a blog post.

Silver sales last month jumped 60.2 percent from the previous month and touched their highest since October last year at 935,819 ounces.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/perth-mints-gold-sales-jump-093209048.html

I don't have a chart of sales over time, so I don't know how that fits historically, but I think it's a good sign that sales of physical are picking up.

Not sales per se, but related to the Perth Mint ...

The Perth Mint is holding a record $5 billion in precious metals for investors from around the world looking for a safe haven amid sharemarket turmoil.
Price aside, the volume of gold, silver and platinum the mint has stored for clients has increased by about 20 per cent in the past eight months in a sign that investors were spooked even before the virus took hold.

The mint is now holding almost 50 tonnes of fine gold and 1020 tonnes of fine silver in its vaults on behalf of clients.

https://www.afr.com/wealth/investin...lion-shine-to-solid-gold-bars-20200310-p548ls

Back
Top Bottom