Phone companies want to eliminate traditional landlines. What's at stake and who loses?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

morning
Benefactor
Reaction score

Phone companies want to eliminate traditional landlines. What's at stake and who loses?​

Charlene Hopey has seen firsthand why having a traditional phone landline at her house is beneficial.

Hopey, who lives in the Santa Monica Mountains region, has lived through California wildfires and earthquakes. She had friends who couldn't make or receive a call during the disasters – both those who had ditched their landlines for cell phones and didn’t have good cell service, and friends who still had landlines but only had cordless phones which were rendered useless when they lost electricity.

“People could not communicate in an emergency,” said the 72-year-old, who has a cell phone, but doesn’t like to use it.

Hopey is among a dwindling number of consumers who choose to still have a traditional landline using copper wires. But they may eventually not have that choice.

The California Public Utilities Commission is considering an application by AT&T to waive its responsibilities to be what’s called “Carrier of Last Resort,” meaning the utility has to offer the copper-wire landline service.

The utility said in filings with the commission that the technology for the traditional landlines is old and demand is low. The utility and many of its peers have been petitioning state utility commissions and state legislators, asking to be relieved of the task of maintaining and offering the traditional landline service.

More:

I held out with a copper land line up until a couple of years ago. We eventually moved to a VOIP based cable internet phone which was less expensive. I prefer the quality of the copper line over the VOIP based lines, but money talks.

Having a land line phone (as opposed to cellular) is a security measure. Cellular phones are easily intercepted/monitored so you really shouldn't conduct any business where you have to disclose social security numbers, bank info, credit card info, etc. over the phone with them.

Years ago I would sometimes hear people talking on cordless phones with a scanner. Never went hunting for contacts like that but would come across them once in a while. Sometimes would get peeps talking in their houses - probably baby monitors.

Great timing on this news this morning:
Large swathes of the U.S. were hit by a cellular outage early on Thursday, with thousands of users reporting disruptions with the services offered by telecom firms including AT&T.

More than 32,000 outage incidents were reported with AT&T's service around 4:30 a.m. ET, according to data from outage tracking website Downdetector.com. Impacted cities included San Francisco, Houston and Chicago, the website showed.

Users of Verizon, T-Mobile and UScellular also reported issues with the telecom firms' services, according to Downdetector.

I have not had a landline since the 20th century.

No cell service where I am so no choice but to have a landline.
2 x class solar flares may have had an impact on technology.

Back
Top Bottom