Platinum again, sorry if it makes you yawn...

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score

STILL at $50 cheaper per oz that Au, I want to get around to hearing more from "our lil ol community" re platinum and palladium. Esp. Pt.

Hint: I met a well-connected guy in NYC that tells me everything is going to work out just fine (well, uh, maybe that should be a "ruh-roh"...). Income taxes are likely to go up, but the lifetime giving exemptions are likely NOT to be reduced.

:) if so.

Here's a link from today to help jump-start our conversation:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/platinum-prices-could-see-a-pop-even-as-deficit-shrinks-2015-05-22

I'm not sold on the economic recovery premise underlying the appreciation forecast. There is still, IMO, significant risk of feces hitting fast spinning metal blades.

Article simply states platinum supply will be low and yet there is no increase in cost of Pt, does that means people are not in need of Pt ?

So with platinum being so low, especially compared to gold, thought I might get a little bit, or at least take a good look at it. Right now gold is about ~$120 more per ozt than platinum, but to buy a 1ozt platinum eagle is about $80 MORE than a 1ozt gold eagle. Don't even get me started on the fractionals! I think I'll stick with buying silver by the pound and gold by the ozt or less.

So with platinum being so low, especially compared to gold, thought I might get a little bit, or at least take a good look at it. Right now gold is about ~$120 more per ozt than platinum, but to buy a 1ozt platinum eagle is about $80 MORE than a 1ozt gold eagle. Don't even get me started on the fractionals! I think I'll stick with buying silver by the pound and gold by the ozt or less.

I have never understood why, but one ounce platinum eagles are much more expensive than other one ounce coins such as the maple leaf.

Eagle is going for ~$1,360
http://www.apmex.com/category/31115/1-oz-platinum-eagles

Maple Leaf is going for ~$1,100
http://www.apmex.com/category/32110/1-oz-platinum-maple-leafs

October, 2011 is when I started this thread.

I am actually now LESS enchanted with Pt, even with the lower price (so a bad call on my part). Good reasons are above!

A bad economy will be BAD for Pt. They use it mostly in chemical plants & oil refineries and catalytic converters in cars.

"Platinum is for optimists."

EDIT: Premiums are VERY high for Pt Eagles. The Pt:Au ratio is 1.13, also VERY high.

Platinum only goes up when there is demand. The best investment is in gold and silver.

Having been away from the precious metals space for a while, how the $%&# did platinum fall to almost half of gold?!

Hey benjamin! Nice to hear from you again. Yeah, platinum has had a rough go for a while. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it, but I seem to recall reading something about the price being tied to industrial use and demand fell ... or was that palladium?

Back
Top Bottom