Precious Gas?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I am now down in Peru on a visit (bearing business, what else), this time I remembered to take my camera...

One of our company´s vehicles (sort of a very small minivan) was modified (cost about $1000) to run on compressed NatGas, as it is so cheap to run on. Payback is about one year the way they drive our vehicles (mostly deliveries and collecting on invoices). Today I rode along with our Sales Manager and we filled up on gas. I took a picture, and I will take more of their infrastructure and ask how it all works for a near-future article. Peru has LOTS of natural gas.

And now, so do we. For YEARS I have wailed on ZH that we are not using our very cheap NatGas. Peru is POOR, yet the infrastructure to service the fleets took some 2 - 3 years to build out.

We in the USA could do the same. It would just take investment and political will. If PERU (GNP / capita less than $2000 / year) can do it, so can we. We could even start with the ¨low hanging fruit¨ (city taxis, municipal vehicles, long-haul trucks on the interstates, etc.) and go from there.

We could save lots of money and take a huge stride towards energy independence, as OIL is mostly used as fuel in our country. Oil should be used where we cannot really use alternatives (jet fuel). Natural gas should be an immediate and consequential part of America´s energy solution.

I wondered about that. A very good friend of mine is a mudlogger, and he says he hasn't logged an oil well in eight years, all gas. Heres an interesting read:

snip:
Unless price levels are higher and more stable, it is not clear that natural gas supply will grow over the next 10 or 20 years, making long-term investment in new uses (for example, vehicular use, gas-to-liquids, and pipelines to underserved areas) questionable.

http://ourfiniteworld.com/2012/03/23/why-us-natural-gas-prices-are-so-low-are-changes-needed/

ps, he says that the gas thing is a bubble and the wells are already starting to play out; nevermind that we are also destroying what little groundwater we have left fracking.

You had me there for a moment DCRB with the title - Precious Gas
I had to check in on the thread in case it was about a gastronomical problem with a Quaker lady. ;-)

Hmmmm...

So, I wonder if I could covert my regular commuter vehicle into a compressed natural gas vehicle and just fuel it up at home. I'm sure I would need a pump and set-up at the house, but I'm sure it's do-able.

I'll have to look around and research, but you have me curious. I'm surprised at the relatively low cost to convert the vehicle.

How's mileage?

If anyone knows of any links, please post.

Thanks for the info!

ADK

A friend who used to do commercial hot air balloon flights, did exactly this and was able to transfer LPG ( not LNG ) from his bulk tank to cylinders that were used for ballooning and for his converted vehicles.

The 'bang' component with LPG is down from petrol, so the engine is a bit 'flat' performance wise and this is compensated by being a bit heavy footed with the go pedal.
The other problem seems to be tank volume / range and a journey has to be carefully planned to ensure fuel can be found, unless you maintain the dual fuel option and carry a tank of petrol as well.

The upside is in cost savings, especially in the UK where gas station petrol is £6.75, ( thats $10.88 ) a gallon !

Back
Top Bottom