Premium on rare gold bars?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

giffy

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about the value of rare gold bars, in particular a 500g Boschmans ingot.

Is there a premium on bars like this? Or are only collectors paying extra for the rarity?

I'm thinking about selling but I have no idea if the value is indeed much higher than the gold price.

Thanks for your input

I wasn't aware that anyone paid numismatic premiums on gold bars. Bullion is bullion. Apmex (for example) is currently selling 500g bars at spot + $15/oz (slightly higher premium for bars with assay). I doubt anyone is selling them for much more than that (because why would anyone pay more if they can get it cheaper at Apmex or some other dealer)?

BTW, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Giffy, Im looking forward to a time when the rareness of real gold does attract a premium and the 200 paper promises for every ounce of real gold are seen for what they are.

Hang on to your Boschmans ingot and any others you have, if you possibly can.
No one here can say with certainty when the paper market will unravel but its pretty much a certainty that it will.

Gold is the anti dollar / anti fiat and a bet that printing to infinity will eventually have consequences.

Thanks guys!

I definitely prefer to hold gold right now, but an opportunity has come up for which I need some cash money ;)

Back
Top Bottom