Premiums for physical Platinum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Historically, the price of platinum is much higher than the price of gold. Seeing gold higher or equal in price to platinum is highly unusual. The current situation makes me want to consider platinum as my next purchase. However, I have noticed the premiums on platinum to be quite large.

As an example, apmex:
http://www.apmex.com/Homepage/Default.aspx
The current spot prices are (rounded to nearest dollar):
Gold $1656
Platinum $1618
Buy prices for a Random Year 1 ounce American Eagle:
Gold $1744
Platinum $1819

While, the spot of gold is ~$40 less, the actual buy price is ~$75 higher for platinum. Is this what everyone else is seeing at various merchants?

Premiums for Platinum Eagles IS VERY HIGH, I have been looking for a bit more US platinum... Pt Eagles have been hard to find (for me anyway) for over a year.

I´ll go take a look at the place you mention, as I am (will be upon return) in the market for Pt Eagles. Nice find!

Platinum in other forms (like 1 oz Nobles) often has much lower premiums, my local coin shop offered me some at a tiny amount over spot (I don´t remember exact rate, but it was small).´

EDIT:

Yes, they do have them, and the premium is high. A favor: please don´t buy them all until I get a chance to get one or two...

:)

Last edited:
My local coin store usually has less than 10 ounces of any form of platinum in the entire store. I usually have to look online for platinum.

I am not sure what the deal with the 1 ounce platinum eagles. I have actually run across several situations where it was cheaper to buy 2 half ounce eagles than a single one ounce eagle!

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a premium on those Eagles. The Pt Maples are nearly $100 cheaper, and the Swiss bars even less than that.

BTW, welcome to the board!

Back
Top Bottom